Bike repair dispute and advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leeboy105

My sister purchased a secondhand hybrid and D lock for £155 from a bike recycling centre and workshop on 19th November 2016. The bikes are fully serviced and have a 3 month guarantee. She used it for commuting, so it would cover about 10 miles per day on average. Bike seemed in good condition when it was purchased. Bike was stored in a shed at home and a bike shed at work so was kept dry and stored properly.

She left the country on 21st February 2017, so the bike was in proper use for about 3 months. After this, I used it occasionally on weekends for short journeys.

Fast forward to Tuesday 2nd May 2017, when I started to us it for commuting. The first day was fine, but on the journey home on Wednesday 3rd May, I noticed some grinding/scraping noises from the back wheel. I used it on the Thursday and Friday and then took it to Go Outdoors to see if they could fix it.

They called me to say it wasn't economically viable to fix it as the back wheel and brake pads needed replacing. The bearings in the hub were pitted and he said it was completely dry so the rear wheel needed replacing. He also said the chain was stretched and worn, which was affecting the cassette.

I took it back to where the bike was purchased on 12th May 2017. He kept insisting it was out of guarantee so they had no obligation to do anything. I stated that less than 6 months had elapsed since the bike was purchased and that it had only really been used for just over 3 months. I questioned if it was reasonable for a back wheel to only last for such a short period of time. He stated although the bikes are serviced, the hub of the back wheel may not have been inspected. Anyway, he said he would have a look at it, but would make no promises.

He called me later that day to say that there was considerable wear on the brake pads and that the chain was worn. He stated this was evidence the bike was used considerably. I queried what the definition of 'considerable usage' was as I knew it wasn't used that much. They offered to replace the back wheel and waive the labour costs. Therefore I would have to pay £32 for the replacement wheel. I said I would get back to him, so they have the bike at the moment.

Should I just pay the £32 and be done with them? Is there anything I can do and is there any recourse regarding the guarantee? Based on what I've said about the usage, should I expect the rear wheel to last longer?

Last edited:
It sounds like they did a Steve Wonder inspection before releasing it for sale. Everything is dependent on usage density. That is, not just mileage, but conditions and terrain it has been used on, as well as mechanical sympathy or lack thereof. To be fair, I see both sides of the argument. They don't know how the bike has been used, you could be being economical with the truth as far as they are concerned. They question of whether the tyre should last longer, is a 'how long is a piece of string' question. I would personally supply a tyre bought on line, by yourself, pay for that ( it will almost certainly be cheaper) and tell them to fit it.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Could also be the bike shop saw you coming and though £££
How often did you check the bike for wear , oil the chain , check brake pads etc ?
If a bike is ridden as a commuter then things like chain, pads , tyres will wear out , if they are basic wheels then the grease would need replacing anyway as they would not be sealed .

OP
OP
L

leeboy105

Thanks for reading my long post and responding.

The brake pads were worn, but I was going to replace them myself. Remember going with her to Go Outdoors to purchase a replacement inner tube and the guy gave the chain a quick clean and oiled it for us. My sister is not an expert, but she did do basic maintenance on it.

Usage was just commuting 10 miles per day on nice even roads.

I don't know the size of the bike and can't measure it as they have it, but it's an adult bike. Would a wheel like this suffice?
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rr-whl-26-6blt-slv-rim-fwheel-p200551

OP
OP
L

leeboy105

Thanks for the responses. Just a question though. Has the tyre lasted a reasonable amount of time? Should I expect it to last longer considering what I deem (maybe incorrectly out of naivety) to be fairly light usage.

snorri

Legendary Member
The first day was fine, but on the journey home on Wednesday 3rd May, I noticed some grinding/scraping noises from the back wheel. I used it on the Thursday and Friday and then took it to Go Outdoors to see if they could fix it.
You should be prepared to accept the costs as you were negligent in continuing to use the bike over three days whilst by your own admission the back wheel made grinding and scraping noises.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If you consider the bike as junk (which it's not) it's cost you about seventeen quid a month ( taking out the D lock), so it's not bad for a months commute is it.?
Bikes do wear like any transport and you expect to have repairs. I think the shop are being more than reasonable. The bike has still got plenty of life left in it.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can get cheap replacement wheels for less than £25. Commuting in all weathers is harsh on bikes, especially cheap ones. If it's not being regularly maintained, 3 months is long enough for serious damage to start, even on a quality bike.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Thanks for reading my long post and responding.

The brake pads were worn, but I was going to replace them myself. Remember going with her to Go Outdoors to purchase a replacement inner tube and the guy gave the chain a quick clean and oiled it for us. My sister is not an expert, but she did do basic maintenance on it.

Usage was just commuting 10 miles per day on nice even roads.

I don't know the size of the bike and can't measure it as they have it, but it's an adult bike. Would a wheel like this suffice?
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/rr-whl-26-6blt-slv-rim-fwheel-p200551
Depends if it has mtb wheels or road wheels and axle width
look on the tyre if it says 26 x ( eg 1.5 ) its mtb size if it says 622 x( eg 28 ) its road bike wheels but you also need to know the width of the rear drop outs , mtb 153 road 130 mm if in doubt ask a bike shop
measure-spacing.jpg

davidphilips

Veteran
Welcome to the joys of cycling, bike shop seems reasonable after all the bike was out of guarantee, If it was me i would just fix the bike myself and in doing so learn a bit about bike repairs.

Only advice i would give is to be nice to bike shop staff they may well help if only by advice and you dont know when you may well need there help.

Top Bottom