bike repair question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alci4

had an off today on my cannondale caad 10 and knackered the frame

my question is if i buy a new frame what can i expect a bike shop to charge to strip my old frame down and rebuild the new frame with all my old bike parts

thanks for any guidence

Trauma! Hope your OK, what happened exactly and how bad is the frame, pics?

First off try contacting Cannondale as I believe they have a frame replacement policy which could save a few £'s on your new frame.

As for swapping the components that something I'd do myself so I wouldn't have a clue TBH.

GWS (if appropriate):hugs:

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

thanks for the replys guys will email cannondale and see what they say.

will try and get pics of frame up today

i am not bad just a a few scratches but woke up this morning with a bit of pain in my lower left abdomen apart from that i think i am ok

cheers for your help and concern

alci4

on the road

Über Member
Building a frame is easier than you think, you just need the right tools which aren't expensive (you won't need many) and a couple of allen keys.

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
It is simple if you have done it before,but I would take small steps.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
What is wrong with the frame?

Cannondale operate a crash replacement policy and should be able to supply a replacement at a discounted rate. Give them a ring on 01202 732288, Adrian is pretty helpful!

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

the frame folded on the down bar and cross bar i will try and get photos up

cheers for advice guys and cheers rob i will give him a bell and find out

thanks guys

A like for like frame swap really shouldn't take more than an hour. @£35 to £45 ph. Even faffing around with cable lengths, headset spacers and derailer adjustment - shouldnt add more than another hour.

£140? Good grief. That has to include wheel building shurley.

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm guessing you've not been to sigma. Their cheapest bike was £800 last time I was there. £140 not surprising thus, but then all the parts on top, cheaper to get a new bike, just not from there!

screenman

Legendary Member
£140 seems good value to me as they have massive overheads to meet. They are also a bike shop catering for a niche market, which it seems are the people happy to pay over £800 for a bike, good luck to them.

OP
OP
alci4

alci4

so here are a few pics of the damage

car pulled out so i slammed the brakes on back wheel came up and my brake hoods hit the car i faceplanted the window but not badly (no damage to car)

didnt even notice the damage to the frame till i got home just checked the front wheel,

saw it wasnt buckled and thought all was well

must have been my weight as i unclipped with the back wheel in mid air (17 st) :sad:

Attachments

• 2013-05-12 15.05.38.jpg
    2013-05-12 15.05.38.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 2013-05-12 15.06.04.jpg
    2013-05-12 15.06.04.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 2013-05-12 15.06.33.jpg
    2013-05-12 15.06.33.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 2013-05-12 15.06.58.jpg
    2013-05-12 15.06.58.jpg