Bike Rescue Insurance ?????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
How many times a year have you been left stranded with your bicycle? They might have to pay out a few quid for a cab maybe once every ten years.
The insurance doesn't just cover you if you've been stranded. It covers you if you have a puncture.

I'm now reasonably able to sort out my bike, but if not I'd have claimed four or five times a year in the past 9 or 10 years.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
The insurance doesn't just cover you if you've been stranded. It covers you if you have a puncture.
Right, but that is only an issue for that small subset of cyclists who (a) aren't comfortable removing wheels themselves and yet (b) also don't run puncture-resistant tyres. Again, not going to be many of those per year.

srw

Right, but that is only an issue for that small subset of cyclists who (a) aren't comfortable removing wheels themselves and yet (b) also don't run puncture-resistant tyres. Again, not going to be many of those per year.
But given the marketing of the product I think there will be rather more than you think!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Yep, cost free. And the last time I used the service also included a complementary McDonalds. Although I appreciate that may be a dealbreaker for some :biggrin:
From what i hear they do decent porridge and coffee :smile: I will be honest i had that new double cheesburger thing this week as kids wanted a trip to the golden arches , i have eaten worse although i always find i feel like i could eat a couple more , un satiated i think the term is.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
But given the marketing of the product I think there will be rather more than you think!
You may be right, but I would say I'm the target market for this kind of service: a man who can strip a thread from 100 metres merely by glancing in its general direction. I outsource all my mechanical work, and while I can change a tube, I would be exceedingly dubious about my prospects of successfully removing and replacing the rear wheel on the trike, and wouldn't even dream of attempting it on the Brompton (I've seen the videos!). Yet even I would have used it maybe once in the last ten years.

srw

Whoever the real target market is, I suspect many of the policies have been sold to the owners of Apollos who don't know that there are such things as puncture-resistant tyres, or even chain lube and allen keys. Now that it's given away for free with motor breakdown that's probably even more likely.

Or at least if our marketing department came to me with that product I'd be sending them away to tell me how they avoid attracting that sort of customer.

In truth, I suspect the truth is that ETA do all of the policy admin and simply provide Ageas with a summary of premium received and claims paid, probably not even split down between cover type - lumping the bike breakdowns in with the motor breakdowns. ETA don't particularly care if the cover types are individually profitable, because they're remunerated by volume.

Top Bottom