Bike Retailer Stock?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

puch

Regular
I'm looking for an online bike purchase. When Googling a particular model you are directed to a website page where the bike is, apparently, in stock. When you next check on the official company homepage, you find the bike is unavailable, often discontinued.

This just happened with a Dawes Galaxy Cross Disc 2013 which Evanscycles are supposed to have. A forum member directed me to this:

http://tinyurl.com/lbzrzgh

Their 'realtime' website says otherwise. A search on their webpage shows no Dawes bikes. This happens with other retailers, too.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm looking for an online bike purchase. When Googling a particular model you are directed to a website page where the bike is, apparently, in stock. When you next check on the official company homepage, you find the bike is unavailable, often discontinued.

This just happened with a Dawes Galaxy Cross Disc 2013 which Evanscycles are supposed to have. A forum member directed me to this:

Their 'realtime' website says otherwise. A search on their webpage shows no Dawes bikes. This happens with other retailers, too.

This is frustrating. It happens a lot.

Sadly it would appear that the cycle industry has a supply chain that most of the world left behind when Noah was a lad.

The concept of 'I want this model bike in this size and I want it now' has not yet been fully understood. Possibly due to the strange reliance on model years that cause stop-start surges in the supply line and the fact that shops/chains either have no cash to tie up in stock or if they do have it they wish to minimise 'dead' money and operate a call-off system from the manufacturers/middleman etc.

It's a pathetically naff set-up in the 21C but you just have to go with the flow. Shed no tears when these enterprises fall over.

OP
OP
puch

puch

Regular
Shed no tears when these enterprises fall over.
A few weeks ago on a thread, someone said they went to their big bike retailer with a particular model in mind. They didn't have his framesize though, so he asked them to order it in, to try out the fit etc.... they agreed but, only if he paid upfront in full. He walked out.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV

Can you not use small urls. you can paste the full on here. Why? Because we don't know where that URL is going to go and it could be malicious. ta :smile:

as for the bike being out of stock, that bike is in stock. See - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/dawes/galaxy-cross-disc-2013-flat-bar-touring-bike-ec050875

OP
OP
puch

puch

Regular
Can you not use small urls. you can paste the full on here. Why? Because we don't know where that URL is going to go and it could be malicious. ta

It's going to go where I pointed it and, I'm not in the habit of posting malicious URL's. Ta.

OP
OP
puch

puch

Regular
The point is that we can't see where it is going, so how do we know? It's poor etiquette.

You think you're entitled to a guarantee?

Poor etiquette not to mention rudeness, is the implication without any basis, that a poster would deliberately insert a malicious URL. And if you bothered to think, you might realise a malicious poster would be reported and banned forthwith.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
You think you're entitled to a guarantee?

Poor etiquette not to mention rudeness, is the implication without any basis, that a poster would deliberately insert a malicious URL. And if you bothered to think, you might realise a malicious poster would be reported and banned forthwith.

ooook then, you seem to have gone off on a tangent.

Back to your post at hand, the bicycle you refer to is in stock :S

Top Bottom