Bike roof racks on cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Simon_m

Guru
Hey there, I'm torn between the:
Thule 561 Outride Disc Brake Fork Mount Cycle Carrier
and the
Thule 591 ProRide Locking Upright Cycle Carrier

Both have great reviews on Wiggle, Evans etc. The 591 looks a bit more stable even though it doesn't clamp the front forks down with the wheel off like the 561. The 591 has a bar which holds the bike steady. Anyone had any experiences with either or both? Thanks

DRHysted

Guru
I think it's the 591 I have. If so it is super steady at speed. I had the MTB on it from Southampton to north of Perth in Scotland without any issues at all.

DRHysted

Guru
Don't use a roof rack, put your valuable bikes inside the car where they're safe.

I think the dogs would enjoy being on the roof far too much to start transporting them there, instead of the bike. Not sure if they could maintain enough grip to stop them sliding off, and don't really think the RSPCA would approve.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why the hell not? Put the pooch on the roof, it can trump away and not gas you in the car.

protester.jpg

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Sorry to slightly hijack the thread, but how does a small woman go about lifting up and attaching a bike to one of these on her own? Presume at home you could maybe use a step ladder or something to help but what about at the other end of your journey?

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you're travelling alone or as a couple, take the wheels off and put the bike safely inside the car. Otherwise use a boot or towbar mounted rack.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Oh good question. Buy a light bike, a step and chuck it up there. Oh and the other issue.... It's likely you won't be able to lift the rack onto your car roof depending upon the bars and bike attachments. I can only just lift my 4 bike rack off the hooks in the garage. Takes two of us to lift it onto the car. Otherwise - what cubist says - one or two bikes = in the car.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
I think now, we are just going to throw the bikes in the back of the Freelander and try not to buy too much booze and other junk in France. If we do, then we will have to buy the racks downthere. Thanks

HovR

Über Member
I have a Thule 591 copy. It's nice and stable etc (just took my road bike the 800 miles to and from Scotland with no issues).

I have to say though I prefer my club-mates Thule 561 and find it easier to fit the bikes on. It also seems like a more stable design as there are 3 points of contact to the car as opposed to just the wheels, which also means the front end can't try to shimmy in the wind, which my 591 copy does without an extra bungie or tie-wrap securing the front wheel to the down tube.

With the 561 though you do have to have room in the car for the front wheel.

Top Bottom