Bike roof racks on cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thule 591 gets my vote. I have one and am looking for a second. However, it's worth remembering if you have a tall vehicle such as a Freelander that's it's much more difficult to lift bikes up that high, and you may want to bring a small foldable stepladder unless you are 6' 4" +!

If you aren't towing, I'd look at tow bar carriers with a Freelander. Will be pricey if you don't already have the tow bar fitted though.

Kies

I went with a Thule 591 and it works great.
You do need to be a certain height for your car so the mounting/unmounting of the bike(s) becomes easier

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Thule 591 for me too. I have two and have taken both our bikes, either the Hybrids or the Road bikes on many thousands of miles, safe with the knowledge the bikes are not going to fall off. Great bits of kit.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I have a Thule 591 copy. It's nice and stable etc (just took my road bike the 800 miles to and from Scotland with no issues).

I have to say though I prefer my club-mates Thule 561 and find it easier to fit the bikes on. It also seems like a more stable design as there are 3 points of contact to the car as opposed to just the wheels, which also means the front end can't try to shimmy in the wind, which my 591 copy does without an extra bungie or tie-wrap securing the front wheel to the down tube.

With the 561 though you do have to have room in the car for the front wheel.

- I strap the wheel to the bike frame tubes and roof side rail. Provides extra bracing to the bike as well.

Kies

Thule 591 for me too. I have two and have taken both our bikes, either the Hybrids or the Road bikes on many thousands of miles, safe with the knowledge the bikes are not going to fall off. Great bits of kit.

Does anyone cover the bikes whilst on the roof .... thinking specifically about motorway speeds

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
No, too much hassle. Not sure it would help anyway. Find fuel consumption rockets as soon as I even think about putting the bike on top. Flies etc wipe off fairly easily!

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
WE are pretty tall, 6.2 and 6.5, but it would be a hassle to lift them up, your right, not thought of that. A step ladder would be helpful, but not sure if we would be able to get the angle right to lift on top. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe just take the bike to bits and throw it in the back, and try not to buy too much wine. Thanks

Teuchter

Über Member
WE are pretty tall, 6.2 and 6.5, but it would be a hassle to lift them up, your right, not thought of that. A step ladder would be helpful, but not sure if we would be able to get the angle right to lift on top. Hmmmmmmm. Maybe just take the bike to bits and throw it in the back, and try not to buy too much wine. Thanks
I found this problem after changing cars to a people carrier thanks to the need to sometimes carry 3 kids, 2 of whom are gangly legged teenagers and a dog (also gangly legged) in the back.

Had no problem lifting bikes onto the roof of the previous car (a Focus) but really struggled with the people carrier (Nissan Tino). The solution I eventually settled on (after taking a step ladder with me in the boot) was one of these:
8596_1.jpg

Cost me about £3. It folds flat and fits under the driver's seat when not in use. Gives me just enough extra height to lift the bike up without any hassle.

Top Bottom