Bike roof racks on cars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I found this problem after changing cars to a people carrier thanks to the need to sometimes carry 3 kids, 2 of whom are gangly legged teenagers and a dog (also gangly legged) in the back.

Had no problem lifting bikes onto the roof of the previous car (a Focus) but really struggled with the people carrier (Nissan Tino). The solution I eventually settled on (after taking a step ladder with me in the boot) was one of these:
8596_1.jpg

Cost me about £3. It folds flat and fits under the driver's seat when not in use. Gives me just enough extra height to lift the bike up without any hassle.
Good thinking! I saw those for sale in a market just the other day, and thought they looked useful - now I know what for :thumbsup:. Being of somewhat shorter stature I find even lifting the bike onto a Focus can be a struggle if a high kerb is not available.

OP
OP
Simon_m

Simon_m

Guru
oooo thats pretty cool. (not sure why I typed WE and not We, bad typing).

Maybe a box would just be better, put the bike in the back of the car, and have one of those boxes which go on top of it, giving you more flexability? Oh so confusing. Only 4 weeks to go though

D

Deleted member 23692

Does anyone cover the bikes whilst on the roof .... thinking specifically about motorway speeds
Nope not me. The dead flies on the front forks make people think you're super speedy :smile:

But in all honesty I find I hardly get any crap on the bike after a spirited motorway run

Top Bottom