Bike Saddles, do they eventually wear out

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi again.
A bit of a strange question but do Saddles wear out. I've done around 15 thousand miles on my bike since I've had it and I've always felt comfortable on it until recently. Long rides were never an issue, but the last couple of months my backside has really suffered..
At first I thought it may be down to my cycling shorts getting past there best ,but a new pair has not solved the problem. The pain feels like sitting on a small stone that's pushing against the left "ass" bone making life quite uncomfortable on the bike.
I'm reluctant to change the saddle as they can be difficult to find one that suits.
The saddle looks ok apart from the white finish wearing away from all the miles of use.The padding seems to be in good order ,so I'm at a loss as to whether it's a saddle problem or whether it's just me getting old and worn out.
All the very best,
Johnny

si_c

Guru
Which saddle is it? I've had a few saddles wear out eventually, one had the plastic base of one crack and sag making it incredibly uncomfortable and the uppers on two have worn away entirely.

The saddle I'm using now seems durable enough, but only time will tell, I've not put as much time into these as I have previous ones, but they seem to be holding up well so far.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Yes, some of them wear out. I have no doubt that someone will tell you about his Brooks that his great grandfather smeared with badger lard and is still entirely wonderful to this day.

Personally, my Charge Spoon started splitting after ten years and about 30 thousand miles. Maybe I should have used badger lard.

Mine came with my bike
it has started to crack all over the place

and in one place it has cracked so much the padding is showing

I think iti will last the summer - but not any longer

So - yes - some can wear out

but when I was a teenager - up to about 30 ish - I had a leather saddle and it just changed shape

until some no mark nicked it

presta

Guru
I would have thought that if there's wear causing the problem you would be able to feel it prodding the saddle with your fingers. Another possibility to consider is that there might have always been something about the saddle design that's a problem, and it's just taken your bum 15,000 miles to get fed up enough to complain about it.

Sharky

Guru
I have 4 bikes, all with the same saddle. One of the saddles is showing wear and some of the leather skim is torn revealing the thin padding underneath, but this is the most comfortable of all my saddles.

Try experimenting with the angle of the saddle. For me, nose down very slightly is ideal for me.

Top Bottom