Bike sales in decline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Indeed it would. The market (as in buyers and sellers) would then decide if things continue as is. If UK purchasers decide they aren’t prepared to pay the new price fee, then they either won’t buy at all or buy elsewhere. The sellers would then adjust pricing accordingly. As said before, it’s Demand and Supply.

And you think the bikes and parts have a margin above 40% to absorb that, interesting.

bpsmith

Veteran
And you think the bikes and parts have a margin above 40% to absorb that, interesting.
No. If you read my other replies in this thread, you will see that isn’t what I am getting at. My point is, it is clear that the governments of the remaining EU countries will have to strike a deal if they want to continue trading with us. The media reporting about a no deal scenario is just scaremongering.

mustang1

Legendary Member
I agree with not going into debt, but what if you have no problem having the cash now.
Good point. There are other benefits for buying now rather than later (if you have the cash like you say): if you wait until end of season, you miss all that quality riding in fine summer weather.

Or perhaps you don't have a bike and want to get into the sport; you will miss a year's worth of getting fit.

[QUOTE 5037944, member: 9609"]there has been a fall, but it has come on the back of 5 straight years of growth (the PPI boom is coming to and end and cars is what this windfall was wasted on). The year to date of new registrations of 2.3m is still higher than any year from 08 to 13.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=u...AUICygC&biw=1327&bih=702#imgrc=hM4q3wqxMnGX0M:

I doubt there are few more eager than me to see an end to our completely barking mad obsession with the motor car, but I'm not confident that we are currently seeing it. For many, their world revolves around this machine. :sad:[/QUOTE]
My mentioning car sales wasn't to say something was happening to cars sales but to say the title of this thread should probably be "Sales in decline"

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
My mentioning car sales wasn't to say something was happening to cars sales but to say the title of this thread should probably be "Sales in decline"
But this is a cycling forum, hence my title of "Bike sales in decline".

If it was meant as a general observation on retail sales the title would have read "Bike and car sales in decline but sales of Vaping equipment growing rapidly with good forecasts for the new iphone but some uncertainty on imported shoes".

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
No. If you read my other replies in this thread, you will see that isn’t what I am getting at. My point is, it is clear that the governments of the remaining EU countries will have to strike a deal if they want to continue trading with us. The media reporting about a no deal scenario is just scaremongering.

I said if they do not come to a deal. That was quite clear. That is the context we are working within. It is no good replying to me then ignoring that salient point within the discussion.

bpsmith

Veteran
I said if they do not come to a deal. That was quite clear. That is the context we are working within. It is no good replying to me then ignoring that salient point within the discussion.
You’re dreaming if you think there won’t be a deal. That’s why I gave you the benefit of the doubt when overlooking the point.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 5038911, member: 9609"]fair enough - i just got awfully excited at the thought of car culture coming to an end, it has to happen one day, the nation has to wake up one sunny morning and collectively think to itself - WTF are we wasting all our money on these over bloated contraptions for?[/QUOTE]
Because you can travel long distances from door to door in comfort, keeping warm and dry with no exertion. It may not appeal to you, but in whatever form it takes personalised non human powered transport will always be seen as highly desireable.

[QUOTE 5038911, member: 9609"]fair enough - i just got awfully excited at the thought of car culture coming to an end, it has to happen one day, the nation has to wake up one sunny morning and collectively think to itself - WTF are we wasting all our money on these over bloated contraptions for?[/QUOTE]
Think yourself lucky you don't live in italy. Then you would really blow a gasket. Despite its many, and increasing, ills London is very sane on this. Many many londoners feel no need for a car. On the other hand they are spoiled for public transport while many other places have their buses incinerated.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
You’re dreaming if you think there won’t be a deal. That’s why I gave you the benefit of the doubt when overlooking the point.

No you chose to ignore the scenario because it did not fit your argument. I did not say there would or would not be a deal. I was stating the likely scenario if there is no deal. There is none so blind as those who don't see as my grandmother would say of you.

bpsmith

Veteran
No you chose to ignore the scenario because it did not fit your argument. I did not say there would or would not be a deal. I was stating the likely scenario if there is no deal. There is none so blind as those who don't see as my grandmother would say of you.
I believe I answered that element already too. Let’s not get wound up about a fair discussion.

Market forces will dictate. Either people will:

1. Carry on buying, at inflated prices.
2. Stop buying at all.
3. Buy an alternative from outside if the EU.

There are plenty of options out there already, that don’t come from Europe.

I undertand what you’re saying about IF there’s no deal. I am just stating that there is a snowflakes chance in hell that the Gov’ts of the remaining EU countries will allow the companies to suffer by not striking a fair deal. If they let that happen then the countries will be significantly worse off as a result of said companies going under.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I undertand what you’re saying about IF there’s no deal. I am just stating that there is a snowflakes chance in hell that the Gov’ts of the remaining EU countries will allow the companies to suffer by not striking a fair deal. If they let that happen then the countries will be significantly worse off as a result of said companies going under.

If you’re right, I’m not arguing either way, it simply helps to prove these politicians are behaving irresponsibly as I believe are ours.

If a deal is necessary and needed it’s in everyone’s best interest to sit round a table and work one out in good time and orderly fashion. Should a deal not be deemed necessary let’s pack up now, leave and get on with other stuff.

bpsmith

Veteran
If you’re right, I’m not arguing either way, it simply helps to prove these politicians are behaving irresponsibly as I believe are ours.

If a deal is necessary and needed it’s in everyone’s best interest to sit round a table and work one out in good time and orderly fashion. Should a deal not be deemed necessary let’s pack up now, leave and get on with other stuff.
Nobody is right at this point, just varying view and opinions.

In simple terms, it does appear that way, however we are basing this opinion on what the media says. It gets very complicated at that point, as there are many forms of fake news used for many different reasons unfortunately.

[QUOTE 5041383, member: 9609"]It just seems crazy to me the amount of money being spent just to be seen in the latest model.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree!
And as for these idiots who take out crippling finance deals just so they can have the latest model and then at the end of their finance term, they don't even own the bloody thing, totally bloody bonkers!!

Top Bottom