Bike sales in decline

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

screenman

Legendary Member
I've tried lots of things, but I've dipped my toe in at the bottom to see if I like it first.

Through choice I take it. If you deceide to have a go at cycling I would have though some BSO's would put you off straight away.

Also of course there is a persons value of money, one persons fiver may be another five grand. I never knock anyone for trying something new.

As an after thought, most of the guys I know of who have taking up cycling in the last five years do a lot more of it than many I know who have done it for years.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Well, I've just done my bit for the industry and put a deposit down on a new one.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Sales may be slow but it's still a popular activity.

Trouble is a lot of people buy a bike use it whilst it's dry and still then soon as winter/wet days arrive the bike stays in the shed or garage .

I have noticed lot's of people who bought bikes on cycle to work schemes claiming they have saved loads of money by buying that way but still don't use them.

I do my bit to keep the industry going but mine were all built about 30 years ago .

delb0y

Legendary Member
I still consider my Tricross my "new" bike. I bought it in 2009. I shall no doubt by another one sometime, but once you have a bike, even if you're really keen, you have a bike. I know some folks buy several. But once you have several, again, you have them. Bound to come a time when sales slow down. Even more so when the economy gets tough.

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Come on Donger don't leave us in suspense ,what have you ordered?
The same again, Banjo! A new Ridgeback Panorama. Researched all sorts of makes, and found it was just about the only affordable bike that took what I already had and added the three improvements that I myself would have made to it. (Now has a 34 tooth cassette, disc brakes and better cable routing at the front that will allow me to fit a bigger bar bag).

Found it surprisingly difficult to find a sturdy steel touring bike with a decent negative gear ratio for getting my big ass up the mountains while having a big enough large chain ring to let me keep up on club rides. The new one has a 48/36/26 on the front and an 11/34 cassette.

I had a shortlist of 3, but the Thorn Club Tour and the Genesis Tour de Fer just lost out for varying reasons. I was surprised that some of the big brands of steel tourers don't seem to go up to a 60cm frame. In the end, well pleased with my choice, and looking forward to bringing it home next week.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Cyclist not making new cyclist welcome, you only have to look as far as this forum to see people moaning about newbie cyclist at times.

As for going on about so called 5 minute wonders, that one really gets me, if you have never tried something and stopped because it did not do what you wanted it too then you are living a sad life in my humble.

I really don't get this. It's just snobbery of the highest order.
The more cyclists out there on bikes, what ever they ride, the better it is for all of us.

johnnyb47

Guru
That's a shame to read. I think cycling though, is very fashionable for some, and as we know fashion comes and goes all the time ,leaving just the core base of regular cyclists to keep the business of the bike trade ticking over. I also think that marginally good quality bikes are expensive for what they are and your" leisure" cyclist who wants a half decent bike to ride occasionally isn't prepared to part with a few hundred pounds of the hard earned cash for the occasional bike ride round the park. On the other end of the spectrum a cheap BSO really do look cheap and nasty with there garish paint colours and tacky stickers in a vein attempts to hide its awful build quality. I would love a "all bells and whistles " bike but money is tight and ended up buying an immaculate 80,s steel framed Peugeot for 70 odd pounds. It's was best money I've ever spent on ,reaping the enjoyments and traveling experiences had over the last year and a half.
There's a glut of good second hand high quality bikes out there on the market for a fraction of the price when new ,and it makes wise economic sense for the new cyclist to buy one of these if they want to see if cycling is for them. If not they can be simply sold on again for roughly the same price as apposed to selling a newly bought bike for much less..
I think the sales of high end bikes will always stay strong and steady though ,because of the passion of the serious cyclist wanting that ever newer and refined bike out there to push the boundaries of themselves even further.

johnnyb47

Guru
The sport of cycling and tv advertising must also have a massive effect on bike sales. In the summer UK tv is adorned with the cycling such as the TDF as well as numerous other races and then we get all the adverts featuring Bradley Wiggins ect . As soon as Autumn comes it all just drops and all the little subliminal messages that have been put into the viewers minds that a bike would be just the thing for them soon disappears with the onset of winter. I don't understand why Uk tv stations stop airing cycle races through the winter months. Cycle events don't just happen in the northern hemisphere. Australia / South America ect are now coming into there summer time where cycling events start to kick off and it would be nice for us winter dwellers to be able to watch it over here and keep the enthusiasm for cycling though our darker months stronger.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
And by about the same amount. 11% (bikes) vs 9% (cars). That million cited in the first post is an unsophisticated "extrapolation" (or, as we say in the trade, a guess).

You'd have thought all that healthy outdoor exercise would give cyclists a more optimistic outlook on life, wouldn't you?

Flyboy

Cyclesurgury on old Chester road not far from me are closing down , they are moving stock to their other branches.

Top Bottom