Bike seat for prostratitis sufferer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt-g

hi,

Can anyone make any recommendations regarding a bike seat that may alleviate the pressure put on this area please?

I've been diagnosed with this condition about 2 months ago and not getting on very well with my recovery so far...however I'm really missing my cycling and hope to feel well enough to get back in the saddle before too much longer.

I'm afraid that being laid up with this has really made my fitness downgrade and also the other benefits of not exercising are beginning to kick in...

Thanks. In advance

AlanW

Guru
The problem is that one persons comfort is another persons misery, as everybody is shaped differently. So getting a saddle to suit you could be a costly exercise, unless you can find a friendly LBS who can offer you loan saddles to try out?

That said, and I don't know where you are located but I was talking to the guy that owns this company at the recent UK Handmade Bicycle Show. I like the fact that with his set up approach he can actually measure the pressure points on the saddle, hence then give you accurate data in which to work with. He had a bike and his PC on display at the show and it was quite interesting to watch.

http://velocitysportscycling.com/bike-fit/

Not only that, he also stocks various saddles so in one session you could be all sorted?

I haven't used him and I have no association with him or the company either, just mentioning it in passing as a possible option

Yes, its expensive, but probably quicker and certainly a lot cheaper than having to purchase loads of saddles till you find one that fits you?

Another option to explore are the Selle SMP saddles, not everyones taste I'll admit, but at least the UK importer offers a free trail period - http://www.dillglove.co.uk/dillglove-exclusive-distributor-of-smp4bike-saddles-in-the-uk/

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Can you exercise in a different way? Running, walking, swimming, cardio in a gym, eg X trainer, recumbent exercise bike etc

Perhaps get saddle advice from an lbs?

mkmark666

Hi There
I suffered from prostatitis myself in late 2014 and it really was a nasty experience. As I recovered, I wanted to get back on the bike but the thought of kicking off another bout of prostatitis made riding a 'no no' for me. I did a bit of swimming for a while but got bored with that. Then, having carried out a bit of research on the internet I ordered one of these;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ism-adamo-breakaway-saddle/

It was a bit difficult to get accustomed to at first, principally because the sit bones seem to take a bit more weight. (also the saddle nose is a bit wider then I was used to) however, I persevered, covered c4k miles on it in 2015 (including a century ride) and over 1400 miles so far in 2016. It seems a bit expensive but for me it's been the difference between cycling and not cycling. I've had no recurrence of prostatitis and no numbness of the 'delicate regions' since using this saddle.

Alan W makes some good suggestions and I don't want to direct you to this particular saddle simply because it worked for myself. I just wanted share my experience so you know that you should, with the correct saddle, be able to get back to cycling again with no further prostate issues

Top Bottom