Bike Security - keeping it all together....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tredder

Am the recent proud owner of my new touring bike (secondhand, converted mountain bike). Was pleased to notice that almost all fittings are secured with 5mm Cap head screws (the ones that take an allen key). Great! I thought, only need to take one tool to strip the bike down.... Nuts! I thought, some light-fingered scroat with a 5mm Allen key can pinch just about everything.....

Soooo, bearing in mind that a determined thief, with enuf time could have your trusty steed away, but the real threat is an opportunist making off with an easy score, what is the collective view on replacing all the nice convienient quick-release, easy access fittings with nasty, pain-in-the-arse, 'need various spanners' ones?

Whilst in paranoid mode found these - http://www.securityfasteners.net/kinmarpermanentsecurityboltsandnuts.htm (check out the re-useable nuts)

Man, it is chucking it down with snow here.....

davidwalton

tredder said:
Am the recent proud owner of my new touring bike (secondhand, converted mountain bike). Was pleased to notice that almost all fittings are secured with 5mm Cap head screws (the ones that take an allen key). Great! I thought, only need to take one tool to strip the bike down.... Nuts! I thought, some light-fingered scroat with a 5mm Allen key can pinch just about everything.....

Soooo, bearing in mind that a determined thief, with enuf time could have your trusty steed away, but the real threat is an opportunist making off with an easy score, what is the collective view on replacing all the nice convienient quick-release, easy access fittings with nasty, pain-in-the-arse, 'need various spanners' ones?

Whilst in paranoid mode found these - http://www.securityfasteners.net/kinmarpermanentsecurityboltsandnuts.htm (check out the re-useable nuts)

If the bike is worth something, what about:-

one of these http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...360028494&N=Abus Granit X Plus 54 23cm D Lock
and one of these
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDeta...00001803&N=Kryptonite KryptoFlex 7 Foot Cable
to tie everything up.

Visibility here is right down with the snow fall as well :biggrin:. Just hope it doesn't lay.

wallabyhunter

It has been said here & on other forums any sort of lock will only deter a casual robber. Anyone who is determined will get what they want, the best you can do is to try to make it not yours!

gb

davidwalton

wallabyhunter said:
It has been said here & on other forums any sort of lock will only deter a casual robber. Anyone who is determined will get what they want, the best you can do is to try to make it not yours!

gb

and make YOUR bike less attractive by ensuring decent locks are used.

OP
OP
T

tredder

Thanks for your thoughts and understand the point about security of frame & wheels using good locks.... I am thinking more about the fact that the saddle, h/bars, racks are secured using relatively easy-to-remove system, so what about securing those?

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Has anyone had the handlebars or racks stolen ... I would of thought most of the low life wouldn't recognise decent gear - especially if its not mountain bike shaped. Not saying they wouldn't nick the whole bike but would they really know the value of a part?

davidwalton

tredder said:
Thanks for your thoughts and understand the point about security of frame & wheels using good locks.... I am thinking more about the fact that the saddle, h/bars, racks are secured using relatively easy-to-remove system, so what about securing those?

Surely handlebar removal is more than one nut? got grips, brakes, plus gears to take off as well. My rack is bolted at 4 points. For a standard cycle rack, it should cost less than a good Gold standard lock.

Seat, you could always remove and carry with you when off the bike. A good way to deter the joy rider thief.

I am more concerned with the expensive stuff like frame and wheels.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
tredder said:

I've yet to come across anyone that's lost handlebars or a rack or small fittings. Seats usually disappear if they are retained with a quick release fitting as do wheels. Locks at best do little to deter determined thieves.

With Q/R wheels remove the front wheel and secure it to the rear wheel frame nad immobile street furniture. Keep locks clear of the gront to hinder attempts to break them on the pavement. Fille the void of D locks with a much bike as possible to prevent the use of hydraulic jacks.

More often than not my bike is secured with a moderately priced cable lock on camp sites.

If you want piece of mind, you could replace the allen head screws with hex headed bolts or use thread lock to make the removal more difficult. Overall though, I don't think that you have much to worry about.

OP
OP
T

tredder

OK, so no-one is going to make off with my luggage racks...

Why do we retain the QR skewers when simply replacing with all-thread & loc-nuts prevent opportunists making off with the wheels.....

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
tredder said:
OK, so no-one is going to make off with my luggage racks...

Why do we retain the QR skewers when simply replacing with all-thread & loc-nuts prevent opportunists making off with the wheels.....

• Speedy puncture repairs.
  • Speedy wheel removal tp fit bikes into cars.
  • Speedy wheel removal to facilitate securing biek to immovable objects.
All thread and lock nuts will not deter the determined thief especially if the wheels are expensive.

snorri

Legendary Member
tredder, it sounds as if you worry too much, perhaps cycle touring is not the thing for you.:?:
I have never heard of a tourer losing bike components, except for a seat, by theft. As you are unlikely to adjust the seat again once it is set up, some Araldite in the Allen key would deter the rogues.
PS and its snowing and blowing a hoolie here which is the reason I'm on here just now!

Top Bottom