Bike selling advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LWeleven

Hi, I am looking to sell one of my racing bikes and as I have not done this before I wondered if any of you guys could offer some advice please. My main issue is how to sell it, for example is Ebay a good way of selling a bike worth over 2k? Are there any better platforms I could used to sell a bike? I am concerned with safety in that I dont want someone coming to my house to view the bike, say they are not interested and the next thing I know I have come home to find my bikes stolen. Or am I being paranoid? Any help would be appreciated.
How about asking a independent small bike store , yes they may take a commission but you may also get a higher price in a store ……as for where as many places as you can if they are free platforms

vickster

Legendary Member
Granted not a 2k bike, but I sold a bike recently on eBay. £1 seller fee, cash on collection, easy peasy. I’ve done similar in the pass and generally managed to circumvent the fees :whistle:

Biker man

I had to read this twice and look who posted it, it’s nearly word for word for what I said
to some one a while back 😂
just a update on eBay payout ..it’s now next day payout . Unless you sell on a Friday night Saturday or Sunday then it’s Monday payout as they don’t process payments on a weekend

I sell a lot …..😂 what’s one mans junk is another’s treasure as they say , I must have loads of junk lol.

a Bike is easy to sell , just set up payment CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY . eBay fees approx 10%
however once or month or so they send promotions out 80% off sellers fees . I only list items
during these promotions

selling things electronic is where you have to watch for scams . I have been had twice in 10 years
I guess it’s the gamble you take ….both times buyer said it was faulty I hard to partially refund
yup I know it’s a scam but nothing really can be down . Make sure you keep lots of photos of the item
even a video clip of it working..hold you ground and fight the case …you can set up a profile that restricts people with 0 or little feedback or keep a eye on your bidders if you see a 0 cancel that bid
put a disclaimer in your info on the listing . It all sounds a pain but it’s not that bad on the whole
Maybe it's ok if you are tec savy I am not ,did sell a ebike on eBay once with help from a friend it all went ok ,but next time I will try a local auction .

vickster

Legendary Member
Maybe it's ok if you are tec savy I am not ,did sell a ebike on eBay once with help from a friend it all went ok ,but next time I will try a local auction .
What's a local auction? Do you mean Gumtree? Or an auction house - do they sell bikes?

classic33

Leg End Member
A local estate agent they have a auction every fortnight sell most things sold a item last month with very impressed with them.
Is the auction entry fee a fixed fee or a percentage of the final price. Usually fixed price if it doesn't sell, but not always.

Either way it's to pay.

Venod

Eh up
The last bike I sold was the easiest, Yorkshire Cycle Sales on Facebook, PayPal Friends and Family transfer by phone in my garage, no fees and every body happy, I have sold a few on Ebay, boxed them up and shipped them, but its a bit more trouble, I haven't sold on Ebay since they want my bank details to do so, I will have to set up another account just for them before I sell anything else on there.

davidphilips

Veteran
Selling a bike, if some one that wants to collect the bike buys it do not let them pay with paypal as they can say they did not get the bike and you have to refund, same with bank transfers be careful.
Know if i sold a bike and some one was going to collect it i would insist on cash but knowing my luck if i did get 2k in cash it would have been printed of that morning and have bank of Toyland printed on it instead of bank of England.

Biker man

Selling a bike, if some one that wants to collect the bike buys it do not let them pay with paypal as they can say they did not get the bike and you have to refund, same with bank transfers be careful.
Know if i sold a bike and some one was going to collect it i would insist on cash but knowing my luck if i did get 2k in cash it would have been printed of that morning and have bank of Toyland printed on it instead of bank of England.
When I sold my bike the money went to my friends pay Pal and was transferred to me five days later a pleasant young man came for the bike maybe I was lucky but the next one will be in auction.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I've sold two bikes on here, one on FB marketplace and one on Nextdoor.
Three of those I took cash as I didn't know the buyer, one I knew the buyer from on here and he did a bank transfer, which I could verify with my bank immediately. All went smoothly.
Unless it's something really niche I'd always start off here, then FB and Nextdoor.
Why pay to sell if you don't have to?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
The last bike I sold was the easiest, Yorkshire Cycle Sales on Facebook, PayPal Friends and Family transfer by phone in my garage, no fees and every body happy, I have sold a few on Ebay, boxed them up and shipped them, but its a bit more trouble, I haven't sold on Ebay since they want my bank details to do so, I will have to set up another account just for them before I sell anything else on there.
And also... selling bikes on CycleChat! :okay:

Top Bottom