Bike Set Up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Madboy

Regular
Hi all

You have given me some fantastic advise on tyres. I took the plunge two days ago and bought some Shimano Clipless Pedals and Some Shimano MTB Boots with Cleat holes. Set them up ok and feel quite confident riding with them.

Now I need to set my Mountain Bike up correctly, ie Saddle Height/Position etc. Is there any website that shows you how, rather than a video?

All help appreciated and thanks in advance

Madboy

13 rider

Guru
Youtube GCN lots of helpful vidioes including bike fit

jack smith

Veteran
You want the saddle so that your knee is sloghtly bent when your foot is all the way down at the bottom of the pedal stroke you shouod be able to touch the floor with your tiptoes only if its correct

screenman

Legendary Member
You want the saddle so that your knee is sloghtly bent when your foot is all the way down at the bottom of the pedal stroke you shouod be able to touch the floor with your tiptoes only if its correct

What about fore and aft on the saddle bit.

jack smith

Veteran
I was keeping it simple, but when the pedal is at its furthest forward point drop a pendulum from your knee and it should disect the pedal axle thats the go to adjustment bu pt really go with what is comftorable

OP
OP
M

Madboy

Regular
Oh you lot are fantastic. I did the knee and dropped a plum weight. Saddle was 2cm's to far back. The height was 2cm's out as well. Took the bike out for a ride and what a difference it makes. I feel so much more relaxed on the saddle. I also checked the saddle angle and that was sitting 3 degrees forward, I thought I was sliding forward, that confirmed it.

I would like to say many thanks to all of you. I have now broken the 5 minute average mile over 13 miles and gone under 5 mins 30 seconds for 30 miles. I am really impressed with all the advice I have been given.

Thank you all

Madboy

Last edited:

Cyclist33

Hi all

You have given me some fantastic advise on tyres. I took the plunge two days ago and bought some Shimano Clipless Pedals and Some Shimano MTB Boots with Cleat holes. Set them up ok and feel quite confident riding with them.

Now I need to set my Mountain Bike up correctly, ie Saddle Height/Position etc. Is there any website that shows you how, rather than a video?

All help appreciated and thanks in advance

Madboy

a) there is no "correctly" other than what works for you, and

b) Google.

Stu

Top Bottom