Bike shoes without cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

I currently use my mountain biking SPD cycling shoes without cleats. They're still much more efficient than other stiff soled shoes I have. Sometimes I wear them all day in the office too or around the beach. Reasonable for walking in.

I do sometimes ride in waterproof walking boots in awful weather as someone says, but they are both heavy and not as good.

Thats what I used to do when I was on clips and straps, Shimano spd shoes and left the cover on the cleat recess.

Jody

Stubborn git
If your pedals are big, you don't even need particularly stiff soles IMO. Skateboarding shoes are good.

I've been using skate shoes for the couple of years. Cheap, comfy and the sole is pretty stiff, with the added bonus of thick side protection for my ankles for when I inevitably roll over on them while walking.

quickhit9810

Hi all,

Im in the UK and am looking for some help.

Can anyone reccomend or give me some ideas of road shoes that dont have cleats.

Its not that I dont like them or cant use them but Ive had two ankle replacements and my foot cant stay in that position for more than 20 minutes.

Attachments

• 79562D3E-7D6F-4050-AC4C-C8AACD134E4C.png
    79562D3E-7D6F-4050-AC4C-C8AACD134E4C.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 35
  • 25442ED9-9940-4739-8E00-54CD72B1EA27.png
    25442ED9-9940-4739-8E00-54CD72B1EA27.png
    117.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 93F172C1-FEF2-444D-92A1-7F0D7F937ED3.png
    93F172C1-FEF2-444D-92A1-7F0D7F937ED3.png
    84.7 KB · Views: 26

avalon

Guru
I'd suggest a heavy pair of traditional country brogues. I'm being serious by the way. Normal trainers have fairly soft soles, so aren't that great cycling but a good pair of the heavier Northampton made shoes have stiff soles, ideally commando, or at least Dainite are pretty good for
non-cleated cycling.
In the days of toe clips it was common to see people wearing this style of shoe for cycling as they were a good fit on narrow pedals an fitted the shape of the clip. There was also the advantage, for many, of being able to ride to work in them and not having to get changed.

icowden

Veteran
In the days of toe clips it was common to see people wearing this style of shoe for cycling as they were a good fit on narrow pedals an fitted the shape of the clip. There was also the advantage, for many, of being able to ride to work in them and not having to get changed.
Indeed. My late father always wore his brogues on the bike when travelling to work (he was the deputy head).

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
Yep, I use some indoor football boots, textured soles to grip, narrow and tight lacing to keep them snug on my feet. No problems slipping off the pedals, and I can push over and pull back on the pedals the same as with cleats.
Same here. This also has the advantage of allowing standard overshoes to fit. I've been unable to find them in size 14 for the last couple of years, so use Skechers trainers with grippy soles in dry weather, and my old astroturf football trainers with overshoes in the wet.

yo vanilla

Yep, I use some indoor football boots, textured soles to grip, narrow and tight lacing to keep them snug on my feet. No problems slipping off the pedals, and I can push over and pull back on the pedals the same as with cleats.

That's an interesting idea. I've got a few pairs, I think I'll give it a try.

Top Bottom