Bike shoes without cleats?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

WJC1981

Hi all,

Im in the UK and am looking for some help.

Can anyone reccomend or give me some ideas of road shoes that dont have cleats.

Its not that I dont like them or cant use them but Ive had two ankle replacements and my foot cant stay in that position for more than 20 minutes.

vickster

Legendary Member
Just get some stiff soled walking shoes. You can‘t use road shoes without cleats, the soles are slick and you can‘t grip the pedal

They all come without cleats but you'll mess up their sole if you don't fit them. If you want to get a good stiff soled shoe I would suggest the mtb type (maybe Specialized BG MTB Sport, they look like road shoes). With a mtb shoe you won't mess up the sole if you don't fit their recessed cleats. :okay:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
what about mtb/touring style shoes with the rubber cover for the cleats left in ?
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/mountain-bike-shoes-st-100-id_8512376.html
1591549186256.png

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next

Twilkes

Guru
If your pedals are big, you don't even need particularly stiff soles IMO. Skateboarding shoes are good.

Yep, I use some indoor football boots, textured soles to grip, narrow and tight lacing to keep them snug on my feet. No problems slipping off the pedals, and I can push over and pull back on the pedals the same as with cleats.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'd suggest a heavy pair of traditional country brogues. I'm being serious by the way. Normal trainers have fairly soft soles, so aren't that great cycling but a good pair of the heavier Northampton made shoes have stiff soles, ideally commando, or at least Dainite are pretty good for
non-cleated cycling.

D

Deleted member 26715

£260 for those or £40 for a set of Hi-tec walking boots I know which I would go for

upandover

Guru
I currently use my mountain biking SPD cycling shoes without cleats. They're still much more efficient than other stiff soled shoes I have. Sometimes I wear them all day in the office too or around the beach. Reasonable for walking in.

I do sometimes ride in waterproof walking boots in awful weather as someone says, but they are both heavy and not as good.

Top Bottom