Bike shops discouraging new cyclists ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

A quick Google suggests that Halfords is the biggest retailer of bikes in the UK with 20-25% market share. It's pure snobbishness to dismiss them.

Let me guess, the reason that so many people buy the wrong sort of bikes from the wrong sort of shop is all down to marketing.

I'm sorry but if you read my post I blamed the bike industry and made a number of suggestions.
Why are you reducing my, quite nuanced post, to a single argument?

Alex321

Veteran
Nope been in common use for over a century. Nowt to do with riding recumbents. I knew the term in the 1970s, only in past 8 years I’ve ridden a recumbent. How long you been riding a bike?

All my life on and off.

I was riding regularly in the 70s, and parts of the 80s and early 90s, then didn't ride much for about 30 years before getting keen again about 4 years ago.

I have always known the term "Diamond Frame", just don't recall seeing it abbreviated to DF before, though it makes perfect sense.

Just say that I have just checked for second hand bike at Halfords

There is an Apollo Men's bike on there for £68
probably perfectly OK for a first bike or for commuting a shortish difference
Grade "C" so maybe some cosmetic signs of wear and some original components may have been replaced - which may actually be a good thing

no need to spend a fortune and that

Just look at their other businesses. Whatever the solution is, Halfords are not going to be the proponent.

Halfords is a bike shop
i.e. it has shops and they sell bikes

however, it is part of a big business so profit is it's reason for existance and they have, over the years, done a damn good job of making themselves the place to go to buy a bike for the average man and woman
and, of course, most kids bikes are really aimed at the parent's idea of what the kids want - or should want
and they know the highest price they can get away with for every bike and put the price there

This thread title only said "bike shop" but I think it is implied that it meant "LBS" which also implies not big national chains
2 levels of implying there so other understanding have to be accepted

If I want a fairly decent bike for me I will try the LBS because I know him and know I will pay a bit more but will make it back on service and better servicing and advise that I would not get from Halfords
but I have noticed that the LBS used to stock the cheaper Raleigh ebikes mostly and a few of the next up the range

nowadays they stock the higher up the range and mostly the more expensive ones (Raleigh Motus Tour and Grand Tour) and a lot of La Pierre more expensive ones

there are no cheap first time bikes on show - although I am sure he could order you one easily and would allow you a test ride before committing to it
I do know that you can order direct from Raleigh and get it delivered to him and he will sort it all out properly
and then you get his service etc
but the Halfords Raleigh ebikes have always been that bit cheaper!

it all comes down to profit and expenses and spreadsheets and stuff

Cheaper than basic DF then!

I got a DF for free, signed up to a year's local council gym membership. Apparently I had the choice of a free rigid mountain bike (valued at £99) or a £30 ASDA voucher. I wish I'd have gone for the ASDA voucher but that's my snobby nature. It would have got ppl a couple of miles to work for a few years. I lived 7 miles away and you'd probably encounter issues with the bike over 7 miles each way.

Now was the bike really £99 or the £30 that the ASDA voucher alternative was valued at?

I got a DF for free, signed up to a year's local council gym membership. Apparently I had the choice of a free rigid mountain bike (valued at £99) or a £30 ASDA voucher. I wish I'd have gone for the ASDA voucher but that's my snobby nature. It would have got ppl a couple of miles to work for a few years. I lived 7 miles away and you'd probably encounter issues with the bike over 7 miles each way.

Now was the bike really £99 or the £30 that the ASDA voucher alternative was valued at?

You would be pushed to find a brand new bike of any kind for £30 - even £99 would be a push!

clearly it probably uses rubbish components - but they can be changed and sometimes a cheap frame is heavier as they use cheaper metals and not fancy alloys!

You would be pushed to find a brand new bike of any kind for £30 - even £99 would be a push!

clearly it probably uses rubbish components - but they can be changed and sometimes a cheap frame is heavier as they use cheaper metals and not fancy alloys!

It had two wheels, gears, chain, frame, steerer, forks, handlebars, saddle and pedals. You could ride it and move quicker than by foot. Meets the criteria of my old work colleagues for personal transportation.

As to cost, it was about 20 plus years ago so £99 was a very common catalogue bike price. I think you might need to look at gooutdoors calibre or cheaper for the equivalent now. Perhaps a halfords cheapo too? Diamondback, muddy fox might also be the modern day equivalent. Oh how low those uk mountain bike brands have fallen!

I used to work with a block - woodrowk teacher basically - who used to go to the local market every Friday - there was a scrapman there who often had old bikes
He used to buy up any that were in a half decent state and build them up
This was about the time that Poland joined the EU and loads of them came over here to get jobs - this was North Wales and they kept the care homes and buses running for several years!
Anyway - he used to have a reputation among the Polish (and other) community and he used to get people walking several miles from the nearest bus stop to see if had anything to sell.
Most of what he sold were single speed (not fixie!) but had good brakes gears saddle, bell (!) and all that - he was very sure that anything he sold was safe!

Only sold them for a fiver - or tenner for the posh ones with gears - but he sold loads
never painted them or anything - just slapped some rust stuff on any rust and cleaned them up properly once they worked

anyway - that was ages ago

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Recumbent quads?

No, every car and bus and train you move round in is a recumbent. Recumbent is just another word for recline, and describes the seating setup. People are used to getting around in recumbent vehicles, and they find it pretty comfy. Now apply that to a recumbent bike, and it’s equally comfy, plus you are getting your daily active time in at the same time.

Top Bottom