Bike Signs on Trains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bike space carriages down here in London and the South East have colour coded doors which are easy seen. Is that not the case for Brum trains?

Why don't you write to you network operator and ask

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
The trick is to ask the station staff where to stand, they'll direct you. There are no colour coded doors on Thameslink, and the signs are pretty hard to spot as the train comes in. They're long trains too, and the bike bays are far front and far rear, so if you're not stood in the right place (I.e. if you're in the middle) you'll not reach one before the doors lock.
Screenshot_20211102-161142_Video Player.jpg

Ask before it comes in is my tip.

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Bike space carriages down here in London and the South East have colour coded doors which are easy seen. Is that not the case for Brum trains?

Why don't you write to you network operator and ask
Just a small photo of a bike and that is it nearly missed a train in March Cambridgeshire they had put it in the first carriage just to confuse me🤠

vickster

Legendary Member
They’re front back and middle on SWR (the train service I use most open with a bike).
Local modern Thameslink as pictured are easy if not busy as you can walk straight through the train

OP
OP
B

Biker man

They’re front back and middle on SWR (the train service I use most open with a bike).
Local modern Thameslink as pictured are easy if not busy as you can walk straight through the train
You are lucky got on one train and were the bike should go one family had piled all there cases there I had to stand with my bike .

vickster

Legendary Member
Well yes, that happens too. The bike spaces can’t be booked so they may be full. In which case, I would just stand with bike. You don’t have priority in those situations. Ditto if there’s a pushchair or wheelchair. Tough

OP
OP
B

Biker man

Well yes, that happens too. The bike spaces can’t be booked so they may be full. In which case, I would just stand with bike. You don’t have priority in those situations. Ditto if there’s a pushchair or wheelchair. Tough
Yes j respect that but suitcases .

vickster

Legendary Member
Yes j respect that but suitcases .
Where else would you propose large suitcases go if there aren't dedicated racks? Was it an airport service?

OP
OP
B

Biker man

The trick is to ask the station staff where to stand, they'll direct you. There are no colour coded doors on Thameslink, and the signs are pretty hard to spot as the train comes in. They're long trains too, and the bike bays are far front and far rear, so if you're not stood in the right place (I.e. if you're in the middle) you'll not reach one before the doors lock.
View attachment 616100

Ask before it comes in is my tip.
Thank you the doors did lock on me once I bashed the knob hard and it did open , a young gaurd helped me and laughed I told you will be old one day 🤠

Great Northern don't have dedicated bike spaces - you just squeeze in where you can, and stay with your bike. Certain services are folders only, but I generally don't travel at those times.

Greater Anglia do have dedicated bike spaces, but can only take four non-folding bikes per service. They're not pre-booked, so it's first come, first served.

I found SWR really refreshing in that respect, regarding the number and availability of spaces.

Top Bottom