Building on flood plains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Realising that this might end up in The Other Place, I'll start it off here.

5,000 new homes are planned to be built between Milton Keynes & Newport Pagnell..

Screenshot_20240215-190053~2.png

This is the site.
What could possibly go wrong!!?

~ Local rag linkie ~

😢

postman

Legendary Member
Who is the builder Noah and Sons builders of fine wooden modular homes,with years of experience.

Drago

Legendary Member
I know that area very well indeed, having lived nearby for some years as a teenager, and not that far away now.

It has flooded multiple times every year since I was first in the area at age 13.

I don't know which is worse, that someone wants to build on it or that the carncil granted planning permission.

There was an old field/scrubland/wast ground place near where I grew up

In winter it always flooded - even if there wasn;t exceptional rain then it still flooded

WHen I was about 30 ish they build houses on it - a friend of my Dad's bought a house on it so before he signed the deal my Dad went through the problems
a) the flooding
b) there was a big car boot sale next door to it all every Saturday in summer and the place was crowded

But he bought it anyway based on assurance from the builder

and it never flooded!

just shows that sometimes the builders know what they are doing - and do it!!

but most of the stuff - especially down south where houses prices are sky high and houses are scarse

and they build anywhere they can put flat concrete
by whatever means

classic33

Leg End Member
A bit like the new housing they built down Mytholmroyd, and Hebden Bridge. Both on known flood plains that were school playing grounds and nothing else for that reason.

Drago

Legendary Member
In fact MK carncil have form for this.

Some years back a developer wanted to build flats in Newport Pagnell. The locals objected p, not least on the grounds that the site flooded regularly. The council said they were satisfied the new flood mitigation measures would be effective and granted permission.

The very next day the town awoke to see the site underwater!

The only concession the developers made was to rejig the design so the garages were under the flats, but who wants their car ruined or to be trapped in or out of their property every time it rains heavily?

A failure of successive governments to knock heads together over this sort of thing.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
In Oban a car park was put beside Lochside St.
In heavy rain lots of cars floating about. Surprise, surprise.

My old workshop,the garage business next to it and a cottage in Tobermory could be affected by high tides pushed by southerly gales. All electrics were three feet from the floor and all materials and machinery could be lifted off floor level. Got flooded three times to a depth of a couple of feet but no losses and it was only a nuisance. Disastrous to the cottage and garage tho’.
The whole Main St is supplied with sandbags and a flood defence wall has been built.

Top Bottom