Building on flood plains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can I ask how they manage in low lying countries like Netherlands? I wonder whether it's building on the flood plain that's the real issue or that we as a nation are simply poor at managing water?

There is nothing new with developing in flood plains it's just that like our management of snow and ice. We just haven't needed to do this so much to make it normal. A good developer should be able to manage water with resources and local government support. We need to manage water flow better.

Slick

Guru
Can I ask how they manage in low lying countries like Netherlands? I wonder whether it's building on the flood plain that's the real issue or that we as a nation are simply poor at managing water?

There is nothing new with developing in flood plains it's just that like our management of snow and ice. We just haven't needed to do this so much to make it normal. A good developer should be able to manage water with resources and local government support. We need to manage water flow better.

Absolutely, we have been doing it for years which is why any development must come with its own SUSDS.

WHen I lived in Bangor the local pub landlord retired and moved into a boathouse near the pier

The boat house was only just above the hight water mark - so could flood on Spring tides and in storm surges

The old boat house was refurbished and made waterproof - but the front doors were still just doors
The walls could cope with being flooded with no problems
The inhabitable areas were all on the first floor and it looked fabulous

so it can be done

They've got a series of dykes and canals.

As have we, out here in the Fens, thanks to the Dutch. Along with numerous pump stations dotted here, there and everywhere. Plus the big sluice up at Denver.

Excess water gets pumped out of the drains and onto the Hundred Foot washes where it is more or less out of the way - a good example of the system working well. It does mean diversions via Downham Market to get to Welney when the causeway is under water.

Slick

Guru
What is a SUSDS, pray tell..

Apologies, I really should take more care typing, its SUDS.

https://www.susdrain.org/delivering.../retention_and_detention/retention_ponds.html

Beebo

Firm and Fruity

The flood plain is there to manage excess water.
If you build on the flood plain you send the water elsewhere and it becomes someone else’s problem.
So these new houses may not flood but some poor souls down stream may suddenly find they have a problem.

Slick

Guru
The flood plain is there to manage excess water.
If you build on the flood plain you send the water elsewhere and it becomes someone else’s problem.
So these new houses may not flood but some poor souls down stream may suddenly find they have a problem.

That's not true as every development must include a water management strategy and has done for years now.

Drago

Legendary Member
Just don't build on flood plains, then such water management doesn't become an issue. Hell, even rhe Vikings knew not to do this, and on the rare occasions they did they build their houses up on mounds.

The problem of trying to manage it is two fold - when the defences are breached it's often catastrophic, and people become complacent and are caught with their pants down when it goes wrong. Just let nature get on with it and don't wilfully build in its way.

It's quite telling that many of these place names have water, lakes or ponds in their name, in this case water.

Last edited:

Slick

Guru
Guys, construction has come a long way.

Even flying in to City Airport you can see multi storeys built on water.

AndyRM

XOXO
Guys, construction has come a long way.

Even flying in to City Airport you can see multi storeys built on water.

I don't disagree with you at all, but it seems that we're not very good at it in the UK?

There was an estate built locally recently which flooded within 6 months despite the developers' assurances that it wouldn't.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It will be fine.

Screenshot 2024-02-16 091252.jpg

Top Bottom