Bike Sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I'm currently looking at buying a budget road bike. I'm 6'1" and I've read that the right frame for my height would be 59-61cm for a road bike or 20-21inch for a MTB. However, one of the bikes I'm looking at is a 'large' Carrera Virtuoso. Although it is the biggest Virtuoso available, it's only got a 54cm frame.

Does this mean it's going to be far too small? (I apologise if this is a stupid question).

accountantpete

Brexiteer
It's not a silly question as you really need an A Level in bike geometry to understand what is going on.

The measurements you quote are based on the old fashioned frames with a horizontal top tube - where you measured from the centre of the BB to the top of the seat tube.

The Carrera has a sloping top tube and a quick look at the website says that the large frame has 51cms BB to top measurement which equates to 58cms if the frame had a horizontal top tube.

So the short answer is that the frame will be in the approximate ballpark if you are going to buy without trying.

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Thanks for that - makes things a lot clearer. I'd love to go to a proper LBS and get fitted for a good bike, but current budget means I'm stuck to searching the web for bargains. One day...

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for that - makes things a lot clearer. I'd love to go to a proper LBS and get fitted for a good bike, but current budget means I'm stuck to searching the web for bargains. One day...

Carreras are sold by Halfords, if theres one near you you could go in and ask if you can sit on one .

02GF74

Über Member
.... which is why the virtual horizontal top tube is the more important measurement for both mountian and road bikes that having a sloping top tube.

for 6 ft 1, you are looking at a 580 mm top tube road bike - that is measures horizontally from centre of heat tube, along a "horizntal" top tube to the center of the seat post.

for mountain bike, 600 mm max, that usually is 19 inch frame.

it is distance L in this picture (assuming picture shows up!)
geometry-Sport.jpg

Top Bottom