Bike stand advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
Think the Old Man of Helsby is the Helsby Hill. Looks like a big head from certain views. The Frodsham Hill, I remember has a Helter Skelter at the top.
My old club used to use Frodsham Hill for it's annual Hill Climb. Not raced myself, but I've ridden up Frodsham Hill a few times. Must be a 1 in 4 at the top. Then I used to ride into Delamere then back home via frodsham, the runcorn Bridge and Prescot.
Ah, right.
Small world!
Yes we live in a nice area, with some surprising steep bits dotted about! The Helter Skelter name is used by a pub in Frodsham town, now.
We have been going to Delamere a lot during the lockdown, ideal for a local spin after a work fom home day. We rarely cycle to Runcorn, though now they have a bike/foot only bridge which would make it easier, as most of the "traffic traffic" has to use the toll bridge. We are Frodsham Wheeler members and quite a few of the club members are from Runcorn. Think they used that same hill you mention for their short time trial - not my thing - does the name Bellmonte sound familiar?

Mark pallister

Park tool all day long
Had mine about 10yrs and still good as new
Has been well used

Sharky

Guru
Ah, right.
Small world!
Yes we live in a nice area, with some surprising steep bits dotted about! The Helter Skelter name is used by a pub in Frodsham town, now.
We have been going to Delamere a lot during the lockdown, ideal for a local spin after a work fom home day. We rarely cycle to Runcorn, though now they have a bike/foot only bridge which would make it easier, as most of the "traffic traffic" has to use the toll bridge. We are Frodsham Wheeler members and quite a few of the club members are from Runcorn. Think they used that same hill you mention for their short time trial - not my thing - does the name Bellmonte sound familiar?
No I don't recall Bellemonte. Is it a park? Sounds nice. Had friends living in Howie Lane, but they moved a couple of years ago. It is a very nice area, but last time we visited to see my elderly uncle, there seemed to be motorways everywhere!

OP
OP
suzeworld

suzeworld

Veteran
Smashing tips guys. I will pass them onto the person most likely to be using this!

Belmonte (sp) is a street name, super steep.
@ Roger Longbottom - Love the idea of a bike made from bits at Ince.

@ Sharky - There are motorways crisscrossing the area -inclusig fast routes out to Wales now!
But equally the lanes are still here and pretty quiet mostly. Unless any of the motorways get blocked and then the whole area can grid-lock pretty damn quick!

All the recommendations above - assume you don't have a carbon bike. Which I believe shouldn't be clamped.

Clamp them on the seat post.
yes, all bikes should be clamped on the seatpost anyway, even steel.

(working on one bike once, despite the help of a fine stand I fiddled for ages trying to figure out a rear V brake issue. Turned out the stand was clamping the cable sheath which, after an upgrade fettle by me from cantis, ran the length of the top tube). Doh!

Mark pallister

yes, all bikes should be clamped on the seatpost anyway, even steel.

(working on one bike once, despite the help of a fine stand I fiddled for ages trying to figure out a rear V brake issue. Turned out the stand was clamping the cable sheath which, after an upgrade fettle by me from cantis, ran the length of the top tube). Doh!
What happens if you can’t clamp the seat post?
I have a canyon with a spring leaf type post you can’t clamp it
Clamping the frame does no harm at all

Big John

Guru
Wrench force is the one I've got. Not sure about best place to get one but I got mine off eBay. Use it all the time and have done for years. Easy to maneuver and folds up easily too. Not a clue about their cost these days. Sorry.

Top Bottom