Bike stolen while on World Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Chris Sirrus said:
Looked like a joke to me, no need to lose the rag.

It looks whoever stole Keith's bike also made off with the dots from his lower case Is.

Very poor taste making a joke out of some one's rotten misfortune. So what's your input or are you another of similarly poor judgement?

Cathryn

Legendary Member
keith hallagan said:
N, not really. I`m the guy. I sımply was a lıttle worrıed about puttıng my own name up sınce ı ıntend to become prıe mınıster one day but worry about my vacant past. I`really Keıth. Hope you enjoy the blog - ıf I can contınue that Is.

Hi, it's lovely to have you on cyclechat, I've been loving your journal! SO sorry about your bike - really hope you get it back soon and keep cycling!!!

Chris Sirrus

Crankarm said:
Very poor taste making a joke out of some one's rotten misfortune.

I find it funny that you're offended on his behalf.:smile:
Who knows Keith might have laughed at the joke too, maybe it made him feel better. Anyone who takes a comment like that seriously is a little touchy IMO.

What can I say to him, apart from bad luck hope you get your bike back?

keith hallagan

No I didn`t get offended by it, just a glib statement that`s all. It can only be expected when you`re on the internet as we talk ın a room by ourselves affectively - subconsciously, not self-conscıously. However, just like Crankarm, my sıster on seeing it by googling my name became offended too on my behalf - no worries I cry! The name is just something I made up - `Hallagan`far too long.

Yes, sorry `bout the ı`s. After my laptop was stolen along with other valuables, and more important things, I am in net cafe`s and the Turkish keyboard has alot of eyes ı İ i I annoyingly and i`m too short on patıence to be a proof-reader

As to what I`m doing, while I`ve been dealing wıth the press - which has dıed down now - I`ve been waitıng and hoping that the Turkish Tv would have come forward wıth help from seeıng the bıke or help of a different nature; but sınce the initial and generous gıft of beıng put up ın a hotel and bıke, the only other people wıllıng to help are offerıng to put me up ın hotels whıch are ın other parts of Turkey (touchıng, generous, but not what I need). The local paper who ınstıgated the medıa were expectıng more help to come forward too, much to theır chagrın.

So as I saıd ın the blog, wıth nothıng comıng froward from the polıce, who seem to talk more than walk, and wıth lıttle help otherwıse, though some frıends suggested I start a fund whıch I have on my guestbook, I am reluctant to spend another 3,500 when it could happen agaın - yes, there was lot of stuff.

So now I`m short on tıme yet stıll unsure as to my dırectıon.

I`ll keep you posted on the blog.:smile:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=3Tzut&doc_id=3951&v=2k4#115505

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
http://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/news/2503854/Ive-been-t-urn-ed-over.html

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/guestbook/?o=3Tzut&board_id=6379&v=1PL&page=10&board_mode=message

Keith still hasn't got his bike, possessions or Dad back.

He has reluctantly created a trust account for anyone wishing to make a contribution however small to help him with costs of replacement, although he says it would cost nearly £4,000 to replace everything and how could he ever replace his Dad's ashes?! Post number #93 of the above CGOAB link.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
For those interested Keith has received further publicity of the theft off his touring bike and possessions which have resulted in a number of offers of replacement bikes from local cyclists in Turkey (would we be so generous in the UK??) and from Marin Cycles themselves. Also Greenpeace appear to have been very generous sorting out new panniers and possibly goodies to replace his electronics that were stolen in exchange for some advertising. There hopefully is a happy ending and Keith finally gets back on a bike to continue travelling writing of his experiences and musings plus taking excellent pics.

He's certainly tenacious.

Good luck to him.

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Great news, he's on the road again following generosity from Marin, Greenpeace and the Turkish people.

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=3Tzut&page_id=122486&v=I

Top Bottom