Bike storage at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keen but clumsy

Hi all,

Are there any legal requirements for employers about bike storage per number of employees? There are about 400 people on site where I work and we have 14 bike places - 6 of them uncovered. I'm trying to fight for more (or at least cover them all) and am in need of ammunition.

Thanks

I wish.

Mine is in a dark corner of the warehouse where "all the other scrap metal" gets chucked.

Regularly I have to haul stillages out of the way to get my bike out at night. Thinking of piling stillages up behind people's cars, seeing what people say to that!

gouldina

I don't think so although it seems to increasingly be the fashion when they refurb offices in London to put in bike parking and showers. Generally a token amount of both mind.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Keen but clumsy said:
Hi all,

Are there any legal requirements for employers about bike storage per number of employees? There are about 400 people on site where I work and we have 14 bike places - 6 of them uncovered. I'm trying to fight for more (or at least cover them all) and am in need of ammunition.

Thanks

None I'm afraid. Although DDA, HSE, Fire Control and staff welfare rights are well covered, cycle storage is nearly always overlooked.

I am one of those responsible for designing and constructing new office interiors and find it endlessly frustrating that, despite the good intention of building showers, clients so often overlook the practicality of clothes and equipment storage.

In my clients defence, it is often impossible (or financially unjustifiable) to build storage as it either takes up so much space (that costs a fortune to rent) or no space is available

OP
OP
K

Keen but clumsy

As I thought but worth asking. Guess I'm back to badgering my boss about it. We do have a cycle to work scheme which is a start I suppose.

Thanks for your help,

KbC

mossy

Ours at a college is really poor.Now resited to be outside the office windows as they think they will be safe!!!
We want bike bins as staff are keen to cycle to work!!

Top Bottom