Bike storage funding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Im trying to put together a case for secure cycle storage for the university I attend and really trying to make it as easy as possible for them to carry my suggestion through. Im wondering if anyone knows if there is funding available to subsidise (sp) the purchasing of secure facilities (ie bike lockers) for educational establishments?

So far Ive emailed Sustrans and the CTC, and will be contacting Middlesbrough council (who are classed as an "environment city" which might mean there is some funding somewhere).

Thanks,
Mike

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
mike.pembo said:
Im trying to put together a case for secure cycle storage for the university I attend and really trying to make it as easy as possible for them to carry my suggestion through. Im wondering if anyone knows if there is funding available to subsidise (sp) the purchasing of secure facilities (ie bike lockers) for educational establishments?

So far Ive emailed Sustrans and the CTC, and will be contacting Middlesbrough council (who are classed as an "environment city" which might mean there is some funding somewhere).

Thanks,
Mike

Yes. It's called the university's travel plan and they will have large wods of cash stored away for giving subsidised bus passes to the nomenklatura, a few token measures on parking, cycle stands here and there etc. Really it's supposed to be used for what you want to do too but rarely is.

The local council will also do this separately in terms of travel plans, you need to talk to the right people in the transport dept that deal with travel plans. It's unlikely the local authority will shell out the money because their travel plans exist for things like local shops, schools, colleges and integrating transport.

P.S. be careful what you wish for.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

marinyork said:
Yes. It's called the university's travel plan and they will have large wods of cash stored away for giving subsidised bus passes to the nomenklatura, a few token measures on parking, cycle stands here and there etc. Really it's supposed to be used for what you want to do too but rarely is.

The local council will also do this separately in terms of travel plans, you need to talk to the right people in the transport dept that deal with travel plans. It's unlikely the local authority will shell out the money because their travel plans exist for things like local shops, schools, colleges and integrating transport.

P.S. be careful what you wish for.

Thanks. I noticed that they have put about 6 covered sheffield stands at the outskirts of the universitys grounds but I feel that this is not suitable.
They could have put bike lockers in that location, or put the sheffield stands in a more central position of the university to increase security provided by conspicuity.

In my email to the university, should I mention that they could charge a hire cost for the lockers to reclaim the spend?

marinyork

mike.pembo said:
Thanks. I noticed that they have put about 6 covered sheffield stands at the outskirts of the universitys grounds but I feel that this is not suitable.
They could have put bike lockers in that location, or put the sheffield stands in a more central position of the university to increase security provided by conspicuity.

DfT guidelines are to install cycle parking 30m from where it is needed and be visible. On a campus this means residential blocks, SU, lecture theatre buildings etc. Parking should be dispersed round with a few secure facilities here and there but people will walk further for secure facilities. If they are not doing this and not putting extra cycle parking in in new builds they need their behinds roasting.

You're not telling me that the total number of bicycle stands is somewhere round 6 for the entire campus?

mike.pembo said:
In my email to the university, should I mention that they could charge a hire cost for the lockers to reclaim the spend?

No. They'll sort out whatever they think anyway. Installing a few cycle lockers is a drop in the ocean to the sums the travel plans have. They cost about £500-750 depending on type and location and a few other factors. The problem you'll have is however many they put in it'll waste a lot of space and won't have sufficient capacity.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

marinyork said:
DfT guidelines are to install cycle parking 30m from where it is needed and be visible. On a campus this means residential blocks, SU, lecture theatre buildings etc. Parking should be dispersed round with a few secure facilities here and there but people will walk further for secure facilities. If they are not doing this and not putting extra cycle parking in in new builds they need their behinds roasting.

You're not telling me that the total number of bicycle stands is somewhere round 6 for the entire campus?

No. They'll sort out whatever they think anyway. Installing a few cycle lockers is a drop in the ocean to the sums the travel plans have. They cost about £500-750 depending on type and location and a few other factors. The problem you'll have is however many they put in it'll waste a lot of space and won't have sufficient capacity.

Yes, campus has circa 30,000 students (pt & full time) with about 15 sheffield stands in total. There are about 10 wheelbender stands elsewhere on campus. The facilities that do exist are clearly in either the wrong location or undesirable (ie wheelbenders) because all the bikes are attached to railings and posts near the SU and library and not in the provided facilities.

I will probably have a ride in this evening and recon the facilities to make a video to support my request for additional facilites to the uni.

Not sure who to submit it to though, facilities of the university or the student union - Ill probably send it to both to be honest.

I really hope they persue this and promote cycling as not enough is being done to solve the parking and transport problems at the uni.

For example, I cycle in and park my bike at one of the few Sheffield stands - I then have a shower in the sports center (right where I park the bike pretty much, which is perfect), and request a locker to put my things in...
The receptionist says "yes, you can have a locker but Ill need your uni card", "but I need the card to get into the library and labs etc", "well its policy for us to keep the card".

Quite unaccomodating. Ill post a link to the vid of the campus on here.

Cheers for the help ;)

marinyork

If there isn't a travel plan coordinator for the university you need to unleash the local council's version on them.

You also need a comparison against what other universities are/have done/doing otherwise they'll argue their way out of it that their little hoops are fantastic.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
do please keep us informed on this one

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

dellzeqq said:
http://www.tees.ac.uk/docs/docrepo/about/CampusCarParkMap.pdf
there's lots and lost and lots of car parking! The University refers you to this - http://www.middlesbroughcyclecentre.co.uk/contact.aspx which is way off campus.

Nobody at the University was able to lay hands on their Sustainability Policy, which might be because there isn't one. On the face of it.........it's crap.
2 student car parks (two of them arent finished yet) that offer something like under 150 spaces between them AND as far as I know a permit is required which: costs over £50 a year, only available to non TS postcodes (so no locals) and does not guarentee (sp) a parking space. Complaints from students on the satisfaction survey and general feedback is that the parking availability is poor. This has been getting worse as student intake has increased and there was development of several new buildings over the carparks that existed.

Im on placement and was unaware they have set up a park and ride which is a step in the right direction and should help to resolve the situation.

The cycle center is excellent, but is some distance away (however offers lockers and showers), and closes at 5PM IIRC so unusable if you have a lecture ending at 5PM or 6PM.

dellzeqq - had you phoned / emailed the university? I have found the travel policy which is in a secure area of the site. Several pages refer to securing more car parking but interestingly some good notes on improving cycling.

"(:biggrin: Phased increase in support for students, staff and visitors who travel to the University on foot, on bicycle, on motorcycle, or by public transport."
3.1B PROMOTION OF ACCESSIBILITY TO THE UNIVERSITY’S FACILITIES FOR ALL, BY PHASED INCREASE IN SUPPORT FOR STAFF, STUDENTS AND VISITORS WHO TRAVEL TO UNIVERSITY ON FOOT, ON BICYCLE, ON MOTORCYCLE OR BY PUBLIC TRANSPORT.

1) Increase number of secure, covered bicycle stores, and secure lockers for cyclists.

2) Provide shower facilities at locations close to bicycle stores.

3) Increase number of dedicated parking spaces for motorcycles.

4) Establish an assisted cycle purchase loan scheme.
6) Work with Council to identify and publicise optimum cycle routes and walkways to the University, marking and illuminating the sections which are on University land.
So it does look like they are wanting to promote cycling, but I think it might still be a good idea to continue with the enquiry.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I did speak to the University, and I was passed from extension to extension in search of the Sustainability Policy. To be honest I simply got bored.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

dellzeqq said:
I did speak to the University, and I was passed from extension to extension in search of the Sustainability Policy. To be honest I simply got bored.
Ill PM you what I have found, although its not much :biggrin:

Went around after work and took some photos (video idea abandoned due to rain). I counted 22 Sheffield stands, of which I would personally only use 6 (the rest are too hidden / out of sight) and 16 wheel benders (10 in public view, great location but should not be used - and 6 in a hidden alcove poor location). This is for a university that has 27,000 students and over 2,000 staff. 0.1% of students are acomodated for with stands - is the guideline something like 5% ?

Ive also done some maths and worked out that the 4 bikes I spotted not using the available facilites, assuming they belong to staff (whom represent 6% of the uni population, not term time at the moment hence assumption) suggests that at least 60 bikes will be on campus belonging to students during term time. Hence utilisation of facilites > 0.2% of uni population BUT only 0.1% catered for.

Ive put together a document that shows each building and what facilities are or are not there with pictures etc. Ive also mentioned that the furthest building entrance from the closest stand is over 1/2 km. Ive also shown bikes being parked against railings closer to the building as opposed to the facilities available.

Ill pop the document on later when its finished.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
it doesn't look like there's a Right to Ride rep for Middlesborough.

The CTC's new Right to Ride co-ordinator is a frequent contributor to Cycle Chat. I'd ask her for advice on how to proceed. YHPM

thomas

the tank engine
At UEA we've got some decent coded bike storage facilities. Mine goes in an underground bunker ;):biggrin:

Anyone (staff/student...and probably outside people if they tried it on) can get the pin and you just lock it up as normal inside. A lot better than leaving it out in the elements and without the extra level of security.

Not perfect, but happy leaving my bike there.

Top Bottom