Bike Storage Ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Looking to store my bike in the garage; hanging from the wall (to save space) and locked (for security). Anyone got any ideas for appropriate wall mountings?

Peteaud

Veteran
Ive never liked the fold out halfords ones.

Ive used the big L hook from B&Q (the beige one with padding) and can fit 2 bikes on no problem.

Also as the are seperate you can play about toget the positions right.

The Brewer

Shed Dweller
I got something like this from Lidl last year and find it great for the commuter and the weekend joyrider

4880224130_64c7d70a7a_o.jpg

Similar on ebay HERE

Darcy

POB
Earlier today I put 4 large hooks into the ceiling beams of the garage to hang my bikes up. It's great, the bikes are off the ground, more room in the garage and less chance of the bikes getting damaged. I can lock the bikes together and wrap a good heavey chain around the thick heavey beams. Hooks were 5.99 a pair, quick, easy and a cheap solution.

400bhp

Guru
The Halfords ones (Bikehut-about £13 each) are absolutely fine. I have 3 in my garage. Just try and broadly measure out the gaps between the bikes and the height - the issue you might find is that the handlebars get tangles if you hang them at the same height.

Darcy

POB
To prevent handle bars getting tangled, top and tail your bikes. You can place them closer together, takes up less room and no tangling.

400bhp

Guru
To prevent handle bars getting tangled, top and tail your bikes. You can place them closer together, takes up less room and no tangling.

Not a bad idea, although the tailing bikes can be a bit more arkward to lift.

big hooks and hang em from the ceiling is the best way

I do this. I hang them by the rear rim, so the back of my garage looks like a butcher's store room, with a row of bikes hanging like sides of beef.

A very serious cycling-nut pal was visiting once and left his bikes on the roof rack overnight rather than risk 'pulling the rims out of true' by suspending the whole weight of the bike from one rim. I was bemused.

He, in turn, thought me mad to do what I did (and still do).

I've been doing it for fifteen years with no ill effect. Does my pal have a point, or is he a velo-hypochondriac?

Top Bottom