Bike Storage Ideas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BorderReiver

Veteran
I do this. I hang them by the rear rim, so the back of my garage looks like a butcher's store room, with a row of bikes hanging like sides of beef.

A very serious cycling-nut pal was visiting once and left his bikes on the roof rack overnight rather than risk 'pulling the rims out of true' by suspending the whole weight of the bike from one rim. I was bemused.

He, in turn, thought me mad to do what I did (and still do).

I've been doing it for fifteen years with no ill effect. Does my pal have a point, or is he a velo-hypochondriac?

If the rims can take the weight of bike and 70kg (or in my case 80kg) rider I can't see hanging 10kg of bike by one rim being a problem. Unless they are very badly built wheels. Maybe you should tell him to find some better made wheels? That should wind him up a bit.

RhythMick

Über Member
+1 for ceiling hooks. Just make sure you find beams to screw the hooks into, not plasterboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Just to be clear, I don't hang by the wheels. One hook under the stem another under the saddle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD