bike storage in the cold advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Contrary to expectation, in the kind of temperatures we've had of late, there's a pretty good argument for keeping it somewhere cold. Mine live in a warm kitchen, and after a trudge home through the snow tend to end up with a fair amount of condensation on almost all parts. Take one back outside on a cold morning, and I often find that the condensation has now frozen. Brake lines are a particular treat.

arallsopp

Contrary to expectation, in the kind of temperatures we've had of late, there's a pretty good argument for keeping it somewhere cold. Mine live in a warm kitchen, and after a trudge home through the snow tend to end up with a fair amount of condensation on almost all parts. Take one back outside on a cold morning, and I often find that the condensation has now frozen. Brake lines are a particular treat.

arallsopp

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
arallsopp said:

Really thats an interesting point arallsopp.

Ive just cleared the shed in preparation, and I thought I would purchase one of those Bike Cave's which is basically a tent for bikes which you can secure to a wall or fence etc. Being as the bike is new I just dont want to stick it in the tent or shed and see rusting parts in a few weeks sort of thing I might cover the rear mech and chain with something just to keep the damp off

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
arallsopp said:

Ive just cleared the shed in preparation, and I thought I would purchase one of those Bike Cave's which is basically a tent for bikes which you can secure to a wall or fence etc. Being as the bike is new I just dont want to stick it in the tent or shed and see rusting parts in a few weeks sort of thing I might cover the rear mech and chain with something just to keep the damp off

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
arallsopp said:

hollers

If you intend on working on the bike whilst in the shed, I got an offcut of carpet and a halogen heater - its great!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
my summer bike and vintage fixie live in the heated cellar, the winter bike and the kids' bikes in the leaky shed (at the dry end), whilst my pub bike and mrs alecetc's live outdoors under the cover of some overhanging ivy.

the outdoor bikes seem to have faired just fine. i would warn against the likes of tarpaulins; they tend to trap moisture in and accelerate rust.

Tynan

Veteran
chocolate bike syndrome again I suggest

a good shed is dry and well venitllated and out of the worse of the weather, sounds abolutely fine to me, it's only England

Top Bottom