Bike storage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickg

Über Member
I can possibly hang a bike up in my garage, what brackets are people using? We have 5 bikes, 4 adult and one junior. What's the best way to store to limit space?

Any pictures would be great.

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I have 9 hanging up by various means:

4 from a rope tied around the front wheel rim (half-blood knot) and hauled up to the roof using pulleys in the apex of the roof.

2 on the wall using Mottez brackets which the pedal slips into

3 from joists using two bicycle hooks each on the saddle nose and stem.

And yes, there is a car in there too!

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
I have 9 hanging up by various means:

4 from a rope tied around the front wheel rim (half-blood knot) and hauled up to the roof using pulleys in the apex of the roof.

2 on the wall using Mottez brackets which the pedal slips into

3 from joists using two bicycle hooks each on the saddle nose and stem.

And yes, there is a car in there too!
Wow, that's another of bikes. Mine will need to be hung on wall.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member
https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-storage-solutions/mottez-bike-pedal-wall-mount-357613.html

These work. Make sure they are screwed into brick or block, not mortar, using the biggest screws and wallplugs that will fit the holes. The bike rests on both tyres as well as the pedal, which stops it slipping round. They will hold a Raleigh Twenty, which is about the same weight as the Tirpitz.

They look smart. Only problem I would have with them is fixing them. As it will be in my garage and it was build with engineering bricks, so has the holes through it which makes attaching to the brick work hard work.

Gunk

Guru
I use a kit I bought off eBay to store one of my bikes off the floor, it’s bolted to the racking but is designed to be screwed to the wall.

It’s very simple, two cups for the wheels to rest on and a hook that the gap between the pedal and crank arm slots into. I’ve used it for a couple of years now and the bike is completely secure.

OP
OP
nickg

nickg

Über Member

chriswoody

Legendary Member
I've made a bracket from some old lumps of wood and some old bike bits. It looks a bit Heath Robinson, but it's strong and works well in the limited space of my cellar.

IMG_20200425_130815196.jpg

IMG_20200425_131229620.jpg

Heigue'r

Veteran
They look smart. Only problem I would have with them is fixing them. As it will be in my garage and it was build with engineering bricks, so has the holes through it which makes attaching to the brick work hard work.
Just fix in the mortar joint every couple of bricks.decathlon do some hooks for a few quid..will attach photo shortly

Slick

Guru
Just fix in the mortar joint every couple of bricks.decathlon do some hooks for a few quid..will attach photo shortly
You need to be quite careful with your choice of fixing when relying on mortar joints which can sometimes be very little more than veneer.

Heigue'r

Veteran
You need to be quite careful with your choice of fixing when relying on mortar joints which can sometimes be very little more than veneer.
I guess so,if you have had the cowboy builders in,I would be confident fixing into anything I've built myself.

yo vanilla

Anyone out there try this one? Hornit Clug. I've read mixed reviews;

I need some better organization myself. I've got six bikes to keep in the garage; I'd like to get them vertically on the wall somehow but I also have to make it really easy to mount/dismount or else the kids won't bother (so the J-hooks likely won't do).

Top Bottom