Bike theft " effectively decriminalised "

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
The reason for this is obvious but would get the thread closed

Please enlighten me by PM. Thanks

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Or they're trying to get the cash for the next hit. That's the trouble with hard drug and severe alcohol addiction; by definition it's near impossible to hold a job down.

Is there a heroin substitution system in the UK?

Yes there's Methadone and Subutex prescribing through drug treatment services, but the majority still use on top of both. Its easy to access treatment as well. People are not waiting long maybe a week or two at most. Its youths here that are after bikes and they are not all on heroin, its weed with them really.Which CAN be a problem.

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I recall reading many moons ago that there was uproar in Saudi Arabia because a couple of doezen bicycles had been stolen...in a month.

I wonder why it's not such a problem over there?
I think we all know the answer to that. And it will be the 'dirty' hand they'll remove which will make things all the more difficult for them.

Lost a bike years ago from a secure area at work and they refused to let me claim on the insurance as it was obviously a member of staff...
Never did get anywhere with that other that a 4 mile walk each way for a few months before I found another job.
Bike theft should be treated like car theft in my book.
😔🤬

Sorry - "refused to let you claim on insurance"
weird
I presume you mean to claim on their insurance - as they would have no right to prevent you claiming on your own insurance

either way - very anti-employee-friendly behaviour!

Polecat

There was a comment up thread about Saudi Arabia and low number of bike thefts.
I'm no expert on Saudi Arabian laws, but of the many times I have been in that country, the majority of men wear long dress like habits (actually a lot cooler and more comfortable than trousers in the heat) and women - well there just aren't any to be seen in public - are not visible and riding in a dress even for men is not practical.
In any case, Saudi is car orientated and if one rode a bike in a country which does not recognize bikes as being transport - and no facilities are provided such as bike lanes, shoulders and so on, and everyone drives like maniacs anyway, then cycling is simply not de rigueur - just not done, and a cyclist would likely be taken in for questioning at best and in for unpleasant and painful stuff at worst.

Sorry - "refused to let you claim on insurance"
weird
I presume you mean to claim on their insurance - as they would have no right to prevent you claiming on your own insurance

either way - very anti-employee-friendly behaviour!
Yep they didn't want to deal with the fact it wa a member of staff I think.
Absolute wombles s i eft with minimum notice and moved on in life...

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
There was a comment up thread about Saudi Arabia and low number of bike thefts.
I'm no expert on Saudi Arabian laws, but of the many times I have been in that country, the majority of men wear long dress like habits (actually a lot cooler and more comfortable than trousers in the heat) and women - well there just aren't any to be seen in public - are not visible and riding in a dress even for men is not practical.
In any case, Saudi is car orientated and if one rode a bike in a country which does not recognize bikes as being transport - and no facilities are provided such as bike lanes, shoulders and so on, and everyone drives like maniacs anyway, then cycling is simply not de rigueur - just not done, and a cyclist would likely be taken in for questioning at best and in for unpleasant and painful stuff at worst.

Is theft in Saudi Arabia still punished by amputation of the offenders right hand ? seems like a pretty effective deterrent 😀

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Is theft in Saudi Arabia still punished by amputation of the offenders right hand ? seems like a pretty effective deterrent 😀

I think they have stopped doing that now but they still do public executions like beheading etc. I doubt this would just be for theft though.

I'd have to see the numbers about effectiveness. It's certainly barbaric.

I suspect it is at least somewhat counter productive because it makes someone disabled and an outcast in one, so crime may be the only option to survive for many people.

Top Bottom