Bike theft " effectively decriminalised "

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Miserable, but hardly suprising given the combination of the Police's inability / unwillingness to investigate "less serious" crimes, plus the underlying subtext that everyone hates a cyclist :sad:

All uphill

Still rolling along
Reinforces my preference for traditional steel bikes that, I think, don't attract the baddies.

Our town has just installed covered bicycle stands at three locations. All fairly central but not in areas with high footfall. :cry:

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Reinforces my preference for traditional steel bikes that, I think, don't attract the baddies.

Our town has just installed covered bicycle stands at three locations. All fairly central but not in areas with high footfall. :cry:
Not that it should matter but I'd be interested to see theft figures broken down by type.

All else being equal I'd expect swanky MTBs and road bikes to be top of the list, however as @biggs682 eludes to, just being "unfashionable" isn't enough to prevent a bike getting nicked; as the local smackheads are likely not fussy as long as it gets them to their next score.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Having been involved in this on the dibble side, one of the biggest problems is the dearth of evidence in most cases.

At best there may be CCTV, but if it doesn't show a clear view of Johnny Scumbag's face it is of no use whatsoever in a PACE compliant identification.

Witnesses are great, but only if they a) know the offender, b) and are willing to appear in court to confirm that identification. Quite often a witness, or someone who has seen Johnny Scumbag's picture in the local paper, will tell the police a name - that name is useless on its own unless they are willing to give a statement and appear in court, which most witnesses are not.

Of course, if the same name keeps coming up then you start to develop grounds for a warrant, but Johnny will have sold it on pretty quick to buy himself some goofballs, so warrants in pursuit of stolen bikes rarely bring paydirt.

And then the owners themselves don't help. Most don't keep a record of the frame numnber. Some will say something to the effect of they can identify the bike because of some unique accessory or scratches, etc, but if they cannot evidence that with a photo or other documentation it's only heresay, one persons word against another and that is insufficient for any purpose.

It's easy politicians to whittle, but where is their solution to the problem, and why did that paticular gang not address it the five years they were in joint government if it bothers them so much? That's as far as I'll go with that one - suffice to say I'd be interested in hearing of some solutions that are realistic and affordable instead of cheap point scoring in the lead up to a big vote.

Last edited:

Mick Mudd

Über Member
I had a bike pinched some years ago after chaining it to a lamp post in the city centre, admittedly it was a cheap combo lock type so it was partly my fault, but after that I bought a heavy-duty solid steel u-type lock and never had a bike pinched again..:smile:

Mick Mudd

Über Member
Snipers on commission for every bike stand 👍
How about it Mike?

"This is this !"
this-is-this3.jpg

Top Bottom