Another "e-bike" death

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member

Jody

Stubborn git
Fairer to call them E-MX rather than ebike. They are capable of 50+MPH

If the police don't clamp down on them the streets will end up flooded. They had almost curbed all the nuisance MX riders round here but then the funding was pulled for the police helicopter. Now they are back on the streets again. They can't really be caught so ride with impunity.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've nearly been hit twice in the last few weeks on my way home - same bridleway - these lads seem to use all the short-cuts to avoid capture. Always wearing balaclavas. Thing is, is they are almost silent - so easy to avoid Police with.

Stopped at a traffic light controlled cross roads last night only to have 2 youths pull up next to me on Surons and dressed in the usual attire. Black air max 90, grey Nike traccy and of course both wearing a bally.

Shot off up the road on the back wheel.

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Very confused by the 'e-bike' nomenclature the media uses for anything with two wheels and some form of electric propulsion.

This one looks to me like it was a motorbike, just with an electric engine.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
They ought to just call it an unlicensed motorbike

They ought to just call it an unlicensed motorbike

Yes - this would help
it is basically giving ll legal (and nearly legal) ebikes a bad name

the way things are going someone in Parliament will feel it is necessary to "reform" the regulations
i.e. insurance, helmets, reg plates - maybe even MOT and "road tax"

which will, of course, fix the problem totally because all the numpties on the 5 million W motors will immediately lock them up and start riding a Raleigh Motus instead with full legal compliance

I give it a week

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
At the moment, I feel the only way to curb this is to stop them at the point of sale along with overpowered kits sold on online marketplaces. It's not without its problems and as a online seller myself, it is not beyond the realms of Ebay to remove adverts that contravene national and international laws, it is possible. It will not stop these things popping up entirely, but making access to these motorbikes or conversion kits more difficult might stop those which the BBC article reckons had "unwittingly brought"... I also think that the Police need to come up with a strategy to beat the riders of these things as chasing them in cars and vans seems wholly inadequate and so obviously flawed.

Top Bottom