Bike theft " effectively decriminalised "

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
I recall reading many moons ago that there was uproar in Saudi Arabia because a couple of doezen bicycles had been stolen...in a month.

I wonder why it's not such a problem over there?

In the ' I ' Newspaper today.

Bike theft has been " effectively decriminalised " the Liberal Democrat's have said, with only 2% of cases seeing a suspect charged. After analysing Home Office data the party said an average of 200 bicycle thefts across England & Wales go unsolved every day. 🤯

Theft has been decriminalised for some time.

Oh, wait, that was for politicians only... as you were.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
It's easy politicians to whittle, but where is their solution to the problem, and why did that particular gang not address it the five years they were in joint government if it bothers them so much?

Because the Home Secretary at the time May have been Conservative? As were the ministers for state for Criminal Justice and Victims.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
Not that it should matter but I'd be interested to see theft figures broken down by type.

All else being equal I'd expect swanky MTBs and road bikes to be top of the list, however as @biggs682 eludes to, just being "unfashionable" isn't enough to get a bike nicked; as the local smackheads are likely not fussy as long as it gets them to their next score.

Its mountain bikes (any) first (wrong the main prize is electric bikes), decent road bikes and nice hybrids, basically anything that can get some money and be sold on easily. A steel bike is not very fashionable and is a niche market really.
I've got one and its been totally left alone outside shops and supermarkets whilst its been locked up.

Dadam

Reinforces my preference for traditional steel bikes that, I think, don't attract the baddies.

Might not attract the "professional" type targeting higher value bikes for export or component farming, but anything rideable without a decent lock attracts the opportunist with small bolt croppers or cable cutters. They can sell it on for a fiver to a druggie, or just to get home after a night on the p---.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
As I'm sure I've said before, when mine was nicked out of the garage a few years back, I reported it online, got a crime number...and that was it. Never heard anything from the Police. When I checked on the local crime figures a few weeks later, mine was reported a tools stolen (no tools were harmed in the reporting of this theft!)

Its mountain bikes (any) first (wrong the main prize is electric bikes), decent road bikes and nice hybrids, basically anything that can get some money and be sold on easily. A steel bike is not very fashionable and is a niche market really.
I've got one and its been totally left alone outside shops and supermarkets whilst its been locked up.

Might not attract the "professional" type targeting higher value bikes for export or component farming, but anything rideable without a decent lock attracts the opportunist with small bolt croppers or cable cutters. They can sell it on for a fiver to a druggie, or just to get home after a night on the p---.

Or they're trying to get the cash for the next hit. That's the trouble with hard drug and severe alcohol addiction; by definition it's near impossible to hold a job down.

Is there a heroin substitution system in the UK?

Drago

Legendary Member
Because the Home Secretary at the time May have been Conservative? As were the ministers for state for Criminal Justice and Victims.

I don't want to push down that route for obvious reasons, so will remain rather circumspect.

Suffice to say that during those five years that team didn't even raise it in parliament.

The party was formed over four decades ago and they haven't once offered a practical solution to the problem of cycle theft. Not a single one. Ever. And they aren't now.

It only becomes exciting now with a big vote in the offing, and rather than offer a solution they simply snipe at the other teams, although that's about the best any of them manage now.

I can afford to be outraged as a private citizen, but when you've gone into that field as a professional your outrage needs to be matched with a credible solution of your own devising, else you shouldn't be in the job.

It's guff, nothing more.

FishFright

More wheels than sense
Or they're trying to get the cash for the next hit. That's the trouble with hard drug and severe alcohol addiction; by definition it's near impossible to hold a job down.

Is there a heroin substitution system in the UK?

There are methadone programs but vary a lot region to region. As with all addictions it takes a very willing client for them to work.

Punkawallah

Über Member
And those figures would be based just on the thefts reported.
Last I heard one in 20 reported crimes ended in a charge. Not a prosecution, not a conviction, but a charge. So it’s not so much ‘de-criminalising’ bike theft, but crime generally.
You are effectively paying your taxes for the police to clear away accidents, and raise taxation in the form of motoring fines.
Street sweepers and tax collectors.

Top Bottom