Bike thief caught on CCTV

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Let's say you left your house unlocked and someone walked in and stole all your money.

a) The thief is in the wrong because stealing is a crime.

b) You are in the wrong because you left your house unlocked.

I can remember a time when most people would have said 'a'. Nowadays, it seems that a lot of people say 'b'. I think that's a pity.
The thief is in the wrong and you are quite silly for leaving it unlocked. Im certainly not having a whip round to give you your money back.

It is a pity. But we are no longer in the 50s.

DRM

Guru
Sure, agreed. I try to take care of my stuff, and I would kick myself first and foremost if anything went missing like this. My responsibility to look after my stuff, right? But I still think we have moved too far from blaming the criminal to blaming the victim. If the Daily Mail goes with 'short skirt, she was asking for it' we are outraged with the victim-blaming, quite rightly. But when someone gets a bike stolen, it's 'well, she should have locked it up.' Which is it, because you can't have both?
But by the same token, if you leave your car unlocked with the key in it, and it is stolen, the insurance won’t pay up as you should have taken basic precautions to prevent it being stolen.

Last edited:

RichardB

Slightly retro
But by the same token, if you leave your car unlocked with the key in it, and it is stolen, the insurance won’t pay up as you should have taken basic precautions to prevent it being stolen.

Yes, I know that. I was talking more about the principle involved.

Anyway, nuff said.

Great, now it's on Facebook any potential identificaion won't comply with the rather onerous mandatory guidance governing identifications from visual evidence laid out in Code D of PACE. In other words, even if someone can name Johnny Scumbag the police now cannot use the information.
don't understand drago. Can you say more? I know you have a (non thief) background in this sort of thing.

RoadRider400

Some bloke that likes cycling alone
Let's say you left your house unlocked and someone walked in and stole all your money.

a) The thief is in the wrong because stealing is a crime.

b) You are in the wrong foolish for because you left leaving your house unlocked.

I can remember a time when most people would have said 'a'. Nowadays, it seems that a lot of people say 'b'. I think that's a pity.
Corrected for you

I digress but I have a funny story about this type of situation.

I put the new to me car on to run in the cold and deice and went to lock the door with the second key. Turns out the second key wasn’t for my car and the garage had given me the wrong key. Ended up with a bit of back and forth with the garage and customers to find out who had my key and whose key I had!

Top Bottom