Bike time out for service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What do you do if your main commuter or only commuter needs time out for a service?

I have to use a brompton for work commute or I'll never get home. However it needs the hub gear and derailleur gear sorting plus a few other things. A year of hard work!

Even though I could sort it I don't want to so it needs a visit to my local bike tech. He's good but doesn't do a Saturday while you wait service. So I'm curious what you bike train bike commuters do when you have no bike for a few days possibly a week?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Get one of my other bikes out and use that instead

vickster

Legendary Member
Have servicing done while taking annual leave?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
What do you do if your main commuter or only commuter needs time out for a service?

I have to use a brompton for work commute or I'll never get home. However it needs the hub gear and derailleur gear sorting plus a few other things. A year of hard work!

Even though I could sort it I don't want to so it needs a visit to my local bike tech. He's good but doesn't do a Saturday while you wait service. So I'm curious what you bike train bike commuters do when you have no bike for a few days possibly a week?

When I was doing a B-T-B I would just use the tube at the London end and leave another bike at the "home" station if the Brompton was out of action.

rivers

How far can I go?
As others have said, use one of my other bikes. I had a few days last year where I was commuting on my TT bike as that was what was available (normal commuter was stolen/waiting on insurance, mountain bike also stolen, and my summer bike was in for a service). I looked a bit silly commuting on my TT bike, but it served the purpose, plus enabled me to get much needed time in the TT position for the 100 and 50 mile TTs I had coming up.

a.twiddler

Veteran
Are you getting it serviced at a Brompton dealer? Do they do courtesy bikes? Or maybe demonstrators? You could tell them you're thinking of upgrading, perhaps have a demonstrator for a few days. Problem is, of course, with the nature of Bromptonitis being what it is, you will end up selling your grandmother to buy one. Then you will have two, which will solve your future problem of what to ride when getting one serviced. Simples (as that blasted omnipresent meerkat says).

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I use another bike if one is 'off the road' so to speak. Wore a rim out a few weeks ago, but was able to get new wheels delivered to store on a Sunday, so was ready to roll again.

Also have option of train or car.

Top Bottom