Bike to small

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ok thanks I will order that 120 mm brand x stem hopefully worth a try
i would get your saddle height and setback set 1st then look at reach , having a longer stem could exaggerate your position in fact atm i think your overeaching because you havent got your point of balance set right , you should be able to ride leaning forward without having to support your weight on your arms
1621441789631.png

Sharky

Guru
can I get a seat post that will let me move the sea back any more
Even King Canute couldn't do that.

Buck

Guru
Getting the right position on a bike takes time and I would say you are always going for a smaller bike and then adjusting rather than a large bike where the frame will always be too big regardless of what you tinker with.

The other point with getting comfortable on the bike is that if your core is weak you will naturally put more weight through your arms as your core cannot support. It’s surprising how much core strength you need on a bike to support you correctly.

I agree with @ColinJ that your saddle may be too high as you appear to be stretching the leg and you look tense on those photos and I would start again as was said in a previous post. (It’s difficult to assess from a photo on its own!)

if you get a longer stem without correcting the saddle height and your own position, it will just complicate the issue.

One thing to remember is only change one area at a time otherwise you’ll not know what has made it better/worse.

What is the bar width?

Your wrists shouldn’t be rolling inwards which is a sign the bars are too wide or rolling outwards which is a sign the bars are too narrow? Your wrists should be straight but I can’t really tell very well without a front on shot of you and the bike. It looks like they are a smidge too wide?

I also agree with the other comments about saddle height, lower it a few mm and slide the saddle forwards to create a slight bend in your arm.

Unless you get a bespoke bike, none will
be perfect out the shop; making changes to suit you is all part of the fun.

Last edited:
@Leemi1982 The size of the frame is right but perhaps you are stretched out too much after moving the saddle too far back, move it forward and maybe drop the saddle slightly and perhaps need a shorter stem and angled up too to bring the bars towards you. At the moment you are too stretched out and the position is too aggressive and having not developed your core strength its putting to much weight on your hands. As your core develops it may gradually mitigate an aggressive position.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Lots has been said on the details so I won't comment more on that, but overall the size looks right to me.... you look just about right on that bike, with a bit of tweaking and core strength to come. No big issues there I'd say.

cyberknight

@Leemi1982 The size of the frame is right but perhaps you are stretched out too much after moving the saddle too far back, move it forward and maybe drop the saddle slightly and perhaps need a shorter stem and angled up too to bring the bars towards you. At the moment you are too stretched out and the position is too aggressive and having not developed your core strength its putting to much weight on your hands. As your core develops it may gradually mitigate an aggressive position.
I thought it looked a bit high too but hard to say from the picture

si_c

Guru
I thought it looked a bit high too but hard to say from the picture
I'm not so sure, the camera is at a low angle so I don't think it usable to determine saddle height. If the OPs hips are not rocking when pedalling then it's fine, a video from directly behind would be needed for that. It really depends how much sweep he gets from his ankles.

cyberknight

I'm not so sure, the camera is at a low angle so I don't think it usable to determine saddle height. If the OPs hips are not rocking when pedalling then it's fine, a video from directly behind would be needed for that. It really depends how much sweep he gets from his ankles.
I did say i want sure , i just had a feeling from the piccie but like you say its hard to tell

OP
OP
L

Leemi1982

Update…

ok been trying with 120mm stem now for a couple of weeks must say bike feels a lot better.. I original started with the new long stem and seat all the way back, the new stem has stopped wrist pain thankfully, but started getting knee pain having felt the seat was to too far back I have been moving the seat gradually forward which has resolved knee pain… also I noticed my balance on the bike has improved with seat adjustment ( can let go of bars and sit up when riding just for testing ) today managed to do 50min bike ride for first time with no pain.🙂

Top Bottom