Bike Tyre Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rushmoore

Hey there,

I have a bike wheel with an outside rim width of 24.6 mm and an Inside width of 18.6 mm, what would you guys recommend is the largest tyre width I could fit on my wheel? I want to fit a 2.2 inch tyre, but am worried this will be too big.. In using Sheldon brown's calculation :"A general guideline is that the tire width should be between 1.45/2.0 x the inner rim width." the maximum should be 1.4inch.. but am looking to have a thicker mtb tyre.

Thanks!

Ajax Bay

Guru
:welcome:
I suggest Sheldon's rule of thumb of 'up to twice' is worth using as a limit (so 37mm). You could physically fit a 2.2" (57mm) tyre on but the ride would be adversely affected so I guess it depends on the advantages of a wider tyre (for traction presumably) versus rolling around in any (and every) corner.

OP
OP
R

Rushmoore

:welcome:
I suggest Sheldon's rule of thumb of 'up to twice' is worth using as a limit (so 37mm). You could physically fit a 2.2" (57mm) tyre on but the ride would be adversely affected so I guess it depends on the advantages of a wider tyre (for traction presumably) versus rolling around in any (and every) corner.
Thank you very much :smile:

Top Bottom