Bike value help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stul

Veteran
Hi all, I hope this is the correct part of the forum to post this but I am looking for some advise on what price to advertise a "spare" bike for?

I have recently changed to an e-bike and decided to sell a couple of spare bikes I no longer use. I have just sold a Dawes Karakum which was generally in good condition and I put it on facebook and it was gone within a couple of days. However I also have an "old" (circa 2000 and something I think), De Rosa Planet. The bike itself is fine mechanically (and light as a feather!), but the paintwork is a bit shabby as they seemed to have used a matt red paint that is quite "soft".

I got it second hand so it doesn't owe me a lot, but despite lots of "googling" I can't find a benchmark for a price guide. (It's all Campag. hardware and is mechanically sound).

In an ideal world I would strip it and get the frame re-painted, but probably not worth the effort /cost.

Just looking for some advice on a price and best place to advertise really.

So any input welcome!

Many thanks for reading...

Spiderweb

Not So Special One
Difficult to value without a few photographs.
Post some if you can.

OP
OP
S

Stul

Veteran
..Hi and thanks for the reply...just got her out and taken some pics, and re-posted in the bike buying section as I thought more appropriate?

Attachments

• IMG_20200610_153250669_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200610_153250669_HDR.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 16

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
The photo gives the impression of a small to medium size which gives the seller a better chance of selling it. It looks in pretty good order so I would agree with @biggs682 .
£200 + on a good day.

OP
OP
S

Stul

Veteran
Hi Biggs and Paulus, and many thanks for your replies,

I will post it at £225 and see what happens!

I would say condition is "fair", some paint marks as the factory paint is quit "soft".

Size wise I have measured from center of bottom bracket to top of seat post frame and it's about 55cm, horizontal seat post to handlebar post is about 53cm..not sure what size that makes it!

I do not want to be greedy as I brought it second hand a good few years ago and have had some use out of it. Equally I don't want to "give it away"..(I understand from the chap I brought it from paid £2,400 new, a it more than I just paid for my E-bike!...although it is incredibly light in comparison, I can pick it up with 2 fingers...the De Rosa that is!)

Thanks again..

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Stul

Veteran
Mid Wales, 20 miles west of Ludlow

Drago

Legendary Member
Not old, prestigious or interesting enough to be of great interest as a classic. Not modern enough to be of widespread interest as a sporty roadie.

But it's a nice bike that appears in great condition, and likely a very useable one at that. Your market is liable to a a newly returned C19 rider wanting a bit or exercise or so ething to decent to commute upon and that could be perfect. With that audience I mind I reckon about £200-£250. Were it mine I'd ask 250, with 200 as my bottom line for negotiations.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I replied on your other (now closed) thread. I see you're aiming for 225 and getting a lot of gumtree hits, so looks like you're all set! Moot I know but I'd have snapped your hand off if you would have offered it to me at 250, you'll have no problem at all. It's not every day you get a Record equipped bit of Italian speed for less than 300 pounds. Even those brake levers are a bit of art. 😍
Be careful with the gumtree / Facebook sharks and scammers, and good luck.

Top Bottom