Bike weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Me like low gears.;)

Very modest, Phil, but I'm with @Pat "5mph" on this.

Chalking off a century on a 7kg carbon roadie is a good effort, but doing centuries on a 17kg clunker is in a different league.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Very modest, Phil, but I'm with @Pat "5mph" on this.

Chalking off a century on a 7kg carbon roadie is a good effort, but doing centuries on a 17kg clunker is in a different league.
:thanks: Thanks for that. I think that future changes to the bike will probably be some lighter weight bits. Alloy bars would make a difference as would some better quality wheels and I could save nearly a kilo just by changing the tyres, much as I like the Schwalbe Marathons currently on.

Not sure how to write them but 24/42 & 14/24?

Best I've managed is 20 miles.
The current set up is a 44-32-22 tooth mountain bike triple up front with an 11-30 cassette. It works pretty well giving a 19" bottom gear that will winch up practically anything, a 107" top gear that's comfortable for up around 30mph (when I can manage that) and a decent spread of not-too-wide ratios inbetween.

As for the distance, it's taken a while to build up to the centuries. 20 miles was my limit for a long time and my first 25 miler was so difficult that I couldn't imagine how I could go further than that at the time. Stubbornness helps.:laugh:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
:thanks: Thanks for that. I think that future changes to the bike will probably be some lighter weight bits. Alloy bars would make a difference as would some better quality wheels and I could save nearly a kilo just by changing the tyres, much as I like the Schwalbe Marathons currently on.

The current set up is a 44-32-22 tooth mountain bike triple up front with an 11-30 cassette. It works pretty well giving a 19" bottom gear that will winch up practically anything, a 107" top gear that's comfortable for up around 30mph (when I can manage that) and a decent spread of not-too-wide ratios inbetween.

As for the distance, it's taken a while to build up to the centuries. 20 miles was my limit for a long time and my first 25 miler was so difficult that I couldn't imagine how I could go further than that at the time. Stubbornness helps.:laugh:

A kilo or two would make a difference, as you've noticed with your other bike.

Does the Raleigh have sus forks?

A non-sus fork would save a lot of weight, and probably ride as well, if not better - certainly on road and cycle paths which I believe is most of your riding.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
Nope, no suspension fork. This is the bike:
DSC0002164.jpg

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
And it still weighs 18kg.

Blimey - is there lead in the tubes?
17kg ;) in real-world ready to ride condition. The big chrome bell, steel handlebar and stem and Brooks saddle may help towards that.* I'd expect it to be nearer the weight of a similar spec tourer with the changes mentioned earlier.

*Edit: and the kickstand - I always forget to mention that.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
And it still weighs 18kg.

Blimey - is there lead in the tubes?
In a decent size, a rugged aluminum hybrid like that is surprisingly heavy.

fatjel

Veteran
Just weighed mine with luggage scales.
Boardman is 11 kg with mudguards, lights , water bottle and spare lights ,tubes, pumps etc etc
Kaffenback is 13.5 kg in pretty much the same trim
Surprised how close they are..

Reactions: mjr

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member
I just weighted my winter bike at 13.3kg
With mudguards, rack, saddle bag with spare tubes, 2 CO2 canisters, multi tool....etc.
My summer bike is under 7.5kg

I found that is nicer riding the summer bike after riding a heavy bike for a week or so. In the summer I take my MTB out sometimes and then the summer bike and it feels great :smile:

Top Bottom