Bike wheels help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mharf

Hi all, I've just recently delved into the cycling world by accident after an annoying running injury. I started a month ago on an old mountain bike just to maintain fitness & really enjoyed it. I have just purchased a cx bike as I plan to increase my mileage on the road as well as take advantage of the woodland trails & then maybe delve into cyclocross & duathlon when I sort out my calf injury.

I have a Scott Speedster CX20 & want to get a set of replacement wheels purely for road tyres & keep the originals for the trails & hopefully some cyclocross events. I feel really daft as I cannot find these wheels on any site, even the manufacturers site. They are called Syncros Race 22 disc. Am I missing something? I don't know how good these wheels are in terms of quality, or what an upgrade would be. I don't want to get a lesser quality wheel. I plan to do a 50 mile ride once a week & increase distance as I get fitter.

Any help or recommendations appreciated.

cm2mackem

Über Member
Syncros as supplied on Scott bikes are just re branded Alexrims, ok but not the best, any disc specific wheels with the right rotor size ,160 mm front and rear, and the right cassette will work, cheapest way to try out these wheels on the road is to just swap out the tyres

Jason

I would look at wheels that are better than Alex rims/Syncros Race, as your buying additional rims, they will make a big difference to your rotational mass/speed when doing pure road cycling. What you buy will ultimately depend on your budget

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Personally I'd have a look at Superstar or Hunt wheels.
I've got a set of Superstar builds which have been bullet proof, and Hunt seem to be well liked by their owners.

Failing that there's Mavic or Fulcrum (or a host of other companies at all price points)....
And someone will be along shortly to tell you all the above are crap and you absolutely must buy hand-built wheels from xxxxxxx, with a minimum of 40 spokes per wheel. This will shortly be followed by someone else telling you not to buy any wheels, as they're all a waste of cash.....

:smile:

Top Bottom