Bikehike problems?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Haven't used bikehike for a while.You could try Ride with GPS . Does more than bikehike and I am not very computer literate but still manage to use it.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
The USP of bikehike is that it integrates OS mapping with online mapping. Despite all the advances of google and OSM and the rest, the OS's 1:50,000 series is still streets ahead of all of its UK competitors* for bike riding. Bikehike no longer talks to google maps, but if you click through it will load OSM, which now does most of what google maps does almost as reliably. You can do street following on OSM and compare it with the Ordnance Survey map to make sure that you're not doing something daft by relying on online software.

*The French 1:100,000 maps are probably better for touring, but that's a different discussion.

547 HEW

Regular
This is the same for me. It used to load the OSM map until about a week ago, maybe more. Now all I get is
"Sorry! Something went wrong.
This page didn't load Google Maps correctly. See the JavaScript console for technical details". I'd love to be able to click through to OSM, but how?

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Sorry, I'm out of date. Last time I used it in anger, about three weeks ago I got a google maps error followed by a loading of OSM. That's gone now, which is a real shame - Bikehike, although it's obviously a hobby site, is much better than any of the commercial mapping sites. There's a contact email address on the website if someone fancies a prod.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
I use RwGPS for planning, but also use BikeHike to slim down the resulting GPX file. I've found it to be the best for removing unnecessary garbage.

Since it's been unavailable, I've found a site called Plotaroute.com, which enables me to do much the same. But I prefer BikeHike.

I think there are some esoteric instructions in the Audax site, to do with climbing estimation methodology, which specifically require the use of BikeHike, so I'm hoping some pressure may come from there. I sent a message when it had been broken for a couple of days - no response yet.

Anyway, it's good to know I'm not doing something wrong.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Thanks Aravis - Plotaroute.com looks pretty useful. I used Bikehike for plotting/measuring short walks (in addition to cycle routes), and Plotaroute has the advantage that it will follow known footpaths too. Good find.

547 HEW

Regular
Thanks Aravis - Plotaroute.com looks pretty useful. I used Bikehike for plotting/measuring short walks (in addition to cycle routes), and Plotaroute has the advantage that it will follow known footpaths too. Good find.
I'll second that! Have just registered with Plotaroute. The Premium fee is very similar to what I donate to BikeHike per year. Also I did email bikehike on 9th Oct and attached a suitable screenshot. Previous experience indicates we may need to wait a few weeks for a resolution.

547 HEW

Regular
Oh dear, look like no maps at all on Course Creator. I've cleared out all my cache stuff, and still no maps. Anyone else having the same issue or is it just me?

547 HEW

Regular
Well, glad it wasnt just me! Should be working fine now, but I had to clear my cache etc again, to get it working.

Top Bottom