Bikepacking from Glasgow to Inverness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonich

Hi
If and I know it's a big if but if things have improved by next April I plan on bikepacking from Glasgow to Inverness.
I have given some thought to my route -
Home to Cobleland, Aberfoyle – 20 miles
Aberfoyle to Lochearnhead – 28 (48)
Lochearnhead – Kenmore 25.5 (70.5)
Kenmore – Dalwhinnie 35 (105.5)
Dalwhinnie – Aviemore 26 (131.5)
Aviemore – Inverness 33 (164.5)

My main concern is Kenmore – Dalwhinnie as it is the longest stretch and maybe the hilliest. I have attached a copy of this section.

Is it hilly? Would I be better splitting that day up and add an extra day?
I know I can go via Pitlochry but I think I would miss out some stunning scenery.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Kenmore – Dalwhinnie .png
    Kenmore – Dalwhinnie .png
    81 KB · Views: 31
What kind of riding do you do now ?
What distance and speed ? What's your history ?

To some that's just one day of riding.
To others I'd think three days or so ?

OP
OP
tonich

tonich

Have you worked out your bivvy spots for each night?
What kind of riding do you do now ?
What distance and speed ? What's your history ?

To some that's just one day of riding.
To others I'd think three days or so ?
As I mentioned, it's to bikepack. Some may manage it quicker, although I doubt one day with a bike full of camping gear would be fun.
I consider myself very fit and could easily manage the miles that I have described but it's about stopping, camping and taking it in so I don't have any time or speed in mind.
My question is really about any information on that specific section.
Cheers

My main concern is Kenmore – Dalwhinnie as it is the longest stretch and maybe the hilliest. I have attached a copy of this section.

Is it hilly? Would I be better splitting that day up and add an extra day?
I know I can go via Pitlochry but I think I would miss out some stunning scenery.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
It's a very nice stretch of road, I've only done it in the other direction, but yes, it is hilly.

Bearing in mind that I've only descended these hills, of the two I remember, I'd estimate that the power station road out of Tummel Bridge would be a long steady climb, and the one north of Trinafour was a hairy descent and I remember clearly thinking "I'm glad I don't have to go up this"

Further, you will not find anywhere to resupply between Tummel Bridge and Dalwhinnie.

OP
OP
tonich

tonich

It's a very nice stretch of road, I've only done it in the other direction, but yes, it is hilly.

Bearing in mind that I've only descended these hills, of the two I remember, I'd estimate that the power station road out of Tummel Bridge would be a long steady climb, and the one north of Trinafour was a hairy descent and I remember clearly thinking "I'm glad I don't have to go up this"

Further, you will not find anywhere to resupply between Tummel Bridge and Dalwhinnie.
Thanks for this information. Just what I needed to know if not what I wanted to hear lol
Thanks

OP
OP
tonich

tonich

I've decided to turn left at Tummel Bridge, follow the B8019 along Loch Tummel to Blair Athol. Hopefully miss those hills you mentioned but still see some nice scenery

Fram

Mrs F and I prefer the high route you planned,
DSC02209.jpg
but both are good.

I'm doing it just now! Although in reverse Inverness to Glasgow, long story.
Great weather helps.
Cheers
Tom
great - please report back with pics when done - plus would be interested in the decision to reverse the route if it's cycling related.

Top Bottom