Bikepacking gear for small bike!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gillian

Hey folks,

Looking to do a couple of mixed terrain tours using the cx bike and am trying to get a bike backing set up that works for my small bike but still gives me a reasonable amount of carry space. What ideas/suggestions do you have? Main issues are:

Handlebar bags - struggling to get a bag that fits between the drops (only about 32cm) usable space. Apidura compact still needs rolled too much so can fit limited kit in it. Now thinking a harness plus my own short and fat drybag (something like an outlieb compression one)

Saddle bag - again small bike means small space! Once the bag is fitted, how much space do you still need between it and the back tyre (with no rear suspension)

Frame bag - I found one that fits!!!

Guessing it's a case of trying them but some pointers would be good

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Handlebar bags
Consider an Alpkit Xtra Dual (I think that's what the double-ended one is called). I've used a regular Alpkit Xtra as a handlebar bag (on flat bars) but the double-ended one could probably attach without needing extra straps, although putting a sacrificial layer there is probably still a good idea.

Saddle bag - again small bike means small space! Once the bag is fitted, how much space do you still need between it and the back tyre (with no rear suspension)
Just enough that whatever's stuck to the tyre can't strike the saddlebag IMO because it'll quickly wear a hole in the saddlebag and then it's unusable, possibly leaving you stuffing the saddlebag's contents into a fold-up backpack to get you home. I've got rear support racks of some sort on all my bikes, partly to keep the saddlebag away from the tyre. Even a Bagman-style rack or one of those sold as a mini front rack would probably suffice to stop a bag bouncing into a tyre.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
A lowsaddle longflap carradice worked for my small frame, its a traditional saddlebag though, not one of those Apidura type things.You need the bagman support as well though to hold it up if you have not got a rack.
I often use a longflap haversack as a saddlebag, which is similar but just strapped on with cam-buckle straps. I didn't suggest it because I feel that using it over mixed terrain on a CX bike without guards would mean putting it in a bin bag or washing it more often than really practical.

OP
OP
G

gillian

A lowsaddle longflap carradice worked for my small frame, its a traditional saddlebag though, not one of those Apidura type things.You need the bagman support as well though to hold it up if you have not got a rack.
Contact SPA cycles and ask them, they have loads of different types of bags in.
Hadn't heard of this brand but it looks a possibility. I'm a bit confused by how it attaches though. Does the support attach to the seatpost then the bag attach to it? Is that fairly secure?
Do you have any experience with the support that keeps the bag high? Would this mean tyre clearance is less of an issue?

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I have small bikes. The new Ortlieb saddlebag needs less exposed seat post than all the others on the market. It's also fully waterproof and doesn't waggle much. I think it was money well spent.

Just done 4 days including the Ridgeway. The bag was superb.

I use a Revelate harness with a dual lok dry bag by Alpkit. This fits on 40cm drops. The bank of eBay paid for a Sting Ray frame bag and a couple of Stem Cells. I already had a medium Fuel Tank. I had plenty of room for a wet 4 day trip.

Last edited:
A lot of bikepacking gear won't fit smaller frames. For the saddlebag some makes give a minimum clearance or minimum amount of seatpost. You'll need to measure and do your research. I'd say a lot of Carradice stuff is fairly old school and clumsy the way it attaches, I personally wouldn't bother with it. Topeak do a range of value bikepacking gear as well.

dnrc

Veteran
handlebar bag - i use the topeak frontloader and an Exped VentAir Compression Bag

these fit good between drops and can get a reasonable amount in

dnrc

Veteran
crackle posted almost same time as me.

Topeak is at the value end of the market but is good stuff. I have the front and mid loader currently.

i previously had Restrap stuff and find the Topeak to be better thought out and better fitting. YMMV of course.

OP
OP
G

gillian

crackle posted almost same time as me.

Topeak is at the value end of the market but is good stuff. I have the front and mid loader currently.

i previously had Restrap stuff and find the Topeak to be better thought out and better fitting. YMMV of course.

Have ordered the front loader and I'll see how that goes ... saw some pictures with a couple of bags attached to it so that could maybe work with the tent outside the drybag

OP
OP
G

gillian

A lot of bikepacking gear won't fit smaller frames. For the saddlebag some makes give a minimum clearance or minimum amount of seatpost. You'll need to measure and do your research. I'd say a lot of Carradice stuff is fairly old school and clumsy the way it attaches, I personally wouldn't bother with it. Topeak do a range of value bikepacking gear as well.

I measured but still wasn't sure if it was too tight ... only left approx 3cm between bag and rear tyre

Top Bottom