Bikepacking saddlebag

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Baldy

Über Member
Like this sort of thing?

fIBIxs.jpg

13 rider

Guru
I have one by Blackburn that I spotted as a bargain price of £50 ,I have never used it yet as my adventures have been put on the back burner . @tallliman uses the same one and he's happy with it ,Can be picked up a bit cheaper than your £100 models .

Kingfisher101

Über Member
I've an Alpkit Koala I like it, very nice bag. Planet X pod sacs will be the cheapest. Restrap gear is expensive and I've not had anything from them myself so I cant comment really.

rivers

How far can I go?
I use an Altura Vortex. Much cheaper than the ones you have listed, and also waterproof.

Attachments

• 20210724_090644.jpg
    20210724_090644.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 16

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Big word of caution, if you want to buy one, then check your seatpost height, If your frame is fully compact and lots of seatpost showing, then you should be golden. My frame sadly is semi compact, with only 9cm of seatpost showing, which rules out the vast majority of seatpost bags which commonly need about 12cm of free seatpost.

Another factor is waterproofness, my Topeak bag is essentially a fabric bag with an additional shaped drybag inside for your kit. The problem with this, is that Topeak have seen fit to make the bag long and thin and not conform to the shape of the outer fabric bag. This results in something that can be a pig to pack properly and with these seatpost bags, the more tightly you can pack them, the better they sit on the bike and the less they waggle and sway.

FrothNinja

Veteran
I use a Topeak 15lt (I think) but I am relying on the mudguard to prevent it rubbing over rough ground. I usually use it without the inner bag if I'm just out for the day.
DSC_0087.JPG

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I've got a Carradice seatpack (https://carradice.co.uk/shop/bikepacking/bikepacking-seatpack/ ) and I'm very pleased with it.
OK, the mount on the saddle is (IMO) heavier that it should be but the rest of the bag works well.
I'm sure if you wanted a day out Domus, a ride to Nelson would allow you to look at their products.
If you can join any of our local rides, I'll have my bag with me.
If it's worked, there's a picture of it on my Dirty Disco.

Attachments

• 20-12-20 Disco Carradice.jpg
    20-12-20 Disco Carradice.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I would echo the caution about seat post clearance as I've tried a number of these bags only to find I don't have sufficient clearance. I settled on a Restrap bag eventually because it has a holster which attaches to the seat post ensuring the bag is held rigidly above the rear wheel. All the other types I looked at rely on being packed tightly and fully to provide the necessary rigidity. I have friends who ride with types which don't have a holster and their bags sway more than I would be happy with.

I recently contacted Restrap Customer Service for some advice. The response was quick, friendly and helpful and as a result I'll also be buying one of these for long day rides.

Race Saddlebag

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I have used them for years. To be honest, they always were a PIA. They are very restrictive as to what you can carry, even if you are going ultra light. Its difficult to tighten them so they do mot waggle. If they are tightened too much you cannot get gear in them. Getting gear in and out is a chore at the best of times. I changed over to a Tailfin rack and it is far better.

DiggyGun

I don't use a saddlebag, but panniers and front fork bags. All my are Ortlieb, which are waterproof and are very good quality.

https://www.ortlieb.com/

They have a large range of saddlebags as well as a multitude of other bag styles, so it would be worth looking there.

T4tomo

Guru
I use an Altura Vortex. Much cheaper than the ones you have listed, and also waterproof.
another vote for the Altura Vortex. I picked up the 12L saddle bag, 5L frame pack and 5L bar bag (Sonic not vortex but matches) for £100.

I really liked the look of the Restrap stuff, but couldn't really justify the price for my very occasional use.

Top Bottom