Bikeradar is dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

To be fair, I haven't taken part in BR since the early days. It may have changed, but it didn't look to have last time I cast an eye over it.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I haven't been back to BR since that exodus. I do notice the ominous signs of Future's corporate tentacles elsewhere though... cyclingnews.com's tech section is now apparently 'powered by bikeradar.com' (whch is a bit like boasting that your Storck dream machine has Sora gears...) and new ads for Future publications are appearing in the middle of the page...

Most of the decent people from ACF have decamped to YACF now... the tumbleweed is blowing through the old town, or as the owner would have it, the signal to noise ratio has increased - take your pick!

Dave5N

Über Member
Can't say I'm keen on BR or C+. I buy Procycling from time to time.

This forum would be better if people stopped navel gazing and got on with it. It's good here, but I could do without the soul-searching.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
twentysix by twentyfive said:
I'm getting a bit fed up with the mag too. Seems to go round an endless loop of much the same stuff. Or is that just me?

I think you're right. It seems to be a hive of lazy journalism (if a hive can be lazy). I suspect thought that this is because budgets are as tight as possible. It's also not helped in that it seems to be manned totally by road geeks. It needs geeks from all the disciplines if it is to be effective.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Andy in Sig said:
I think you're right. It seems to be a hive of lazy journalism (if a hive can be lazy). I suspect thought that this is because budgets are as tight as possible. It's also not helped in that it seems to be manned totally by road geeks. It needs geeks from all the disciplines if it is to be effective.
I disagree there. Cycling mags should be exclusively road or MTB, if you mix the two most people won't buy it because they are paying for something they will only read half of.

If CW or Cyclesport gave part of their content over to MTBs I would stop buying them.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Some cycling mags can be neither road or MTB of course...:thumbsdown:

Any magazine on almost any subject is bound to go round in circles a bit - however many new models of bike/car/model plane/tin soldier there are, there's only so much you can say, and not enough total innovation to fill the pages every time. That's why I don't tend to subscribe - I pick mags up as and when I fancy.

If the writing is good, (and if the writing is something you care about), you'll be more tempted to buy each time, just to enjoy it. But in a lot of more technical subjects, I think the writing quality goes by the wayside a bit, in favour of techy facts - which is what some people want...

gbb

Legendary Member
Smokin Joe said:
I disagree there. Cycling mags should be exclusively road or MTB, if you mix the two most people won't buy it because they are paying for something they will only read half of.

If CW or Cyclesport gave part of their content over to MTBs I would stop buying them.

I agree wholeheartedly.
I occasionally get CW. If they mixed content, i simply wouldnt buy it. I have no interest whatsoever in other disciplines.
I also assume you wouldnt get MTBers as a whole buying a mixed content mag for the same reasons.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'm glad I work where I do. Much more interesting, lots of variety and no racing or MTBs!:thumbsdown:

<rude lazy sterotype>

Do mountain bikers buy mags with words in? Or just pictures...

</rude lazy stereotype>

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
strange the number of mountain bikers, when you consider how many mountains we have...:thumbsdown:

I'll use both, but consider the Avalanche XC or ATB, not MTB.

Chris James

Über Member
No it's not just you. The reviews often don't seem to cover the most likely items either.

But it's the closest mag to suit my needs. And my Rudy Project shades arrived today. The ones that they sent me for cancelling my subscription and re-subscribing for another 12 months. And the ones that are worth more than 12 month's subscription.

After mildly slagging of C+ on the previous thread for their over emphasis on cyclosportive riding I actually went out and bought this month's copy.

I really enjoyed it as the revamp has given it a fresher feel. So I too subscribed for the mag and the freebie glasses!

girofan

Although I am usually averse to things American, (including their No.1 citizen), Velo News and Road Bike are a change from our usual British mags. Those who are disenchanted ought to try them.:thumbsdown:

Andy in Sig said:
I think you're right. It seems to be a hive of lazy journalism (if a hive can be lazy).
I think that's a bit harsh on the journos, they won't be the ones updating the website after all.
I'd give the writers credit for being genuine experts/enthusiasts but the BikeRadar concept is flawed, for the reasons that other people have already stated. I look at it for snippets of news/reviews but I have exactly zero interest in mtbing and much of the other content is American. It doesn't feel relevant to me.

I don't buy C+ for the simple reason that I hate Paul Vincent.

The US mags are ok but rarely feature negative product reviews.

I bought Road-Bike Action for the Ferrari Colnago on the cover last week but there was nothing about it in the mag. Barstewards :thumbsdown:

Top Bottom