Bikes and trains, what are the 'rules'...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
There is a leaflet you can pick up from the train station by national rail called cycling by train. It gives you details of all the train companies cycle policies. Also has an ad for Brompton on the back, which kind of makes me think they are trying to tell you something :smile:

The rules on carrying bikes on trains vary with the different train companies. When there are insufficient places, it is up to the discretion of the guard as allowing any more on. I would have thought that having a reservation for a bike should ensure that the place is kept clear but nothing surprises me about the ridiculous way our trains are run.

On my local line it is not possible to reserve a bike space. Cyclists are expected to wait at the platform until a train arrives with an empty space. As there are only two places per train this can be a bit of a gamble.

Good to see you have your priorities sorted though. ;)

I'd like to see you do better.whizzkid.No really...I really would.One more whizzkid would make no difference.

I doubt if you know 5h1t about how our trains are run apart from what you read in The Sun.

mcr

Veteran
There is a leaflet you can pick up from the train station by national rail called cycling by train. It gives you details of all the train companies cycle policies. Also has an ad for Brompton on the back, which kind of makes me think they are trying to tell you something :smile:

Pdf here

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)

The whole idea of the cycle space is to store the bike safely so that if there is an emergency the bike is not blocking anyone's egress route. With the bike across the exit doors, if there was an emergency there was a real possibility that my bike might have been scratched or damaged as people escape the overturned/smoke filled/alight/contaminated/flooded/buried train carriage.

Don't worry about that. In the event of almost all accidents on modern trains like TPE, you are MUCH safer in the train than out of it.

Top Bottom