Bikes for distance riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AWM6

Über Member
Lots of great advice here and sure you don't need any more! However, I would recommend the hybrid route - particularly with your phobia or drop bars (BTW: that passes quickly and most people ride on the hoods). Check our the Specialized Sirrus range as an example. I would not go with anything that has suspension as this is just energy sapping over long rides. Definitely go for slightly wider tyres (circa 32mm) so you are comfortable on both gravel and road. In my opinion, there is very little penalty vs 26/28cm on the road and the ride is much more assured. You should be able to pick a good one up for your budget. Good luck with what ever you do.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
After trying some drop bars I came round to the idea very quickly.

si_c

Guru
Chuck some bar ends on for more hand positions and that retro look, slick tyres and some clip on mudguards in case it rains.

If you find you enjoy the ride, use the remaining £500 as a downpayment on a nice road bike. Or eMTB.

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
Another little update...

Went for my first long ride yesterday on the new steed (21 miles). Already 2mph average faster than the Tern (although this is probably conservative due to making a mistake on the towpath and having to go *really* slowly through some sludgy bits) despite some strong headwinds.

Today however I have discovered a whole new collection of bits of me that hurt. I think the new riding position is going to take a while to get used to. Lower back and neck / shoulders are a little achy. I think I might look at a more comfy saddle as well. It felt comfyish at the time, but I think a bit more padding would be nice...

I'm presuming this is normal!

vickster

Legendary Member
Another little update...

Went for my first long ride yesterday on the new steed (21 miles). Already 2mph average faster than the Tern (although this is probably conservative due to making a mistake on the towpath and having to go *really* slowly through some sludgy bits) despite some strong headwinds.

Today however I have discovered a whole new collection of bits of me that hurt. I think the new riding position is going to take a while to get used to. Lower back and neck / shoulders are a little achy. I think I might look at a more comfy saddle as well. It felt comfyish at the time, but I think a bit more padding would be nice...

Pretty much...assume your elbows aren't locked indicating over reach?

si_c

Guru
Another little update...

As @vickster says it's pretty normal when moving to a road bike to need to get used to the change in position. Don't be afraid to move your hands to the tops rather than spending your time on the hoods - you're not actually that much further away from the brake levers and gives you a surprisingly more upright position which should ease your back a little.

I tend to keep my hands mostly on the curve between the tops and the hoods as I find it the best overall balance of control and comfort.

But both have drop handlebars and that seat higher than handlebars thing going on :cry:.
For long distances i think flat bars are a no no. Even with bar ends that i have on Cannondale arms shoulders back ache always happens when i do any distance. Drop bar endurance bike all of this goes away because you can adjust hand position so much more. I know not everyone gets on with drop bars, just my experience.
Oh, same with clipped in shoes, miles comfier than flat pedals after some serious miles :okay:

OP
OP
icowden

icowden

Veteran
I was switching quite a bit, trying to find comfier positions. I ddid do a section on the tops as well, which helped some of the lower back ache ease off - then i got closer to home and went a bit full on! Not on clipped shoes yet. I did get some dual pedals, so that when I get my next pair of five tens I can use the cleats or the flats as the mood takes me. I also found the curve comfier than the hoods when I had a nice long section, that didn't require brakes or gear changes.

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Another little update...

I have the same issue with neck/shoulders. I think it's a combination of firstly not relaxing my shoulders, when I remember and think about it, I'm quite hunched and tense so I relax them for a couple of minutes then automatically start tensing again. Second is a lack of core strength (also the reason my hands feel numb), need to do more work on my middle to take the strain off the front.

Brads

Another little update...

Padding on a saddle is the anti christ.

Less is more. Your arse just need more miles under it.

I am not making this up. Do not buy a padded saddle, they are less than useless.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Padding on a saddle is the anti christ.

Less is more. Your arse just need more miles under it.

I am not making this up. Do not buy a padded saddle, they are less than useless.

That certainly seems to be the general experience.

Although I have always found it curious that while I prefer a hardish saddle - Brooks at the moment - I also like to use padded shorts.

One might think I could have the padding on the saddle and use plain shorts, but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Vinniej

Another little update...

I had the same issue on my Giant explore on the long rides, ended up replacing the saddle for something more comfortable and well worth it.

Top Bottom