Bikes in London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I was in London yesterday (a rare thing) and I was amazed to see large numbers of mid-range bikes (£500-£1000) locked up with thin cable locks and cheap £15 D-locks around the Oxford St. area.

Perhaps some 'lock education' for the general cycling community would greatly reduce bike theft. Or, as long as this is the case it makes securely locked bikes less likely to get stolen as there are endless amounts of easier targets.

You don't see any 'decent' bikes locked-up in Norwich City Centre. Clearly more cash in the big smoke!

juanpelota

tundragumski said:
I was in London yesterday (a rare thing) and I was amazed to see large numbers of mid-range bikes (£500-£1000) locked up with thin cable locks and cheap £15 D-locks around the Oxford St. area.

Perhaps some 'lock education' for the general cycling community would greatly reduce bike theft. Or, as long as this is the case it makes securely locked bikes less likely to get stolen as there are endless amounts of easier targets.

You don't see any 'decent' bikes locked-up in Norwich City Centre. Clearly more cash in the big smoke!

Not so sure it's more cash, but you have a valid point about lock education. I think it's down to complacency and bad routines, certain was in my case, but have learned my lesson now.

Interestingly I take a lot more notice of secured bikes now and it's quite understandable why so many go missing. Just off of Leicester Square yesterday I saw two good looking bikes secured halfway up a lamp-post about four feet off the ground, with good quality locks securing the frames to the lamp-post.

Shame about the expensive quick-release wheels on them! :wacko:

Tynan

Veteran
I've lost a fair few low end mtbs that were indoors or securely locked out of sight, I wouldn;t dream of leaving anything decent in public locked with anything light enough to carry on a bike

TwoDlocks

Like my name suggests always use two D locks when leaving your bike somewhere. Make sure the locks go through the front and back wheel and the frame to prevent wheel theft. Also use a lock for the seat as well.

Top Bottom