Bikes on a train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
The number of lil' bits of card required to get 2 people and 2 bikes from Knaresborough to Newcastle and back for the first and last leg of this year's bike tour.
Bit daft!
20230430_120402.jpg

Last edited:

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
The number of lil' bits of card required to get 2 people and 2 bikes from Knaresborough to Newcastle for the start of this year's bike tour.
Bit daft!
View attachment 687675

Who said bicycles were Environmentally friendly ?

****Enjoy your trip and stay safe 😎

alicat

Legendary Member
Pedant alert - should that be 'and back to Knaresborough' otherwise you can discard the top piece of paper? ;)

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
In the sunny south east you can get a card to have all your journeys on. No paper, tap in and out as necessary.
Assume other train companies do similar.

With bicycles?
Normally I have my train tickets on the trainline app but the taking bicycles element requires printing out all the bits of card.

Gwylan

Veteran
With bicycles?
Normally I have my train tickets on the trainline app but the taking bicycles element requires printing out all the bits of card.

Local trains, non busy times, just turn up with your bike. Bit of a pain when the local station requires several steps to the platform.
But I suppose going further afield the rail companies might like the chance to charge.

My last big journey with a bike was TGV to Brussels. Used to have to hang them up in a special compartment.

Mike_P

Guru
Would have thought the duplicates of the bike tickets could have been incorporated by appropriate text on the actual passenger tickets but hey thats Britain's railways go for you.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
Local trains, non busy times, just turn up with your bike. Bit of a pain when the local station requires several steps to the platform.
But I suppose going further afield the rail companies might like the chance to charge.

My last big journey with a bike was TGV to Brussels. Used to have to hang them up in a special compartment.

Our journey involves 2 trains. One is Northern Rail to York which doesn't require booking bike spaces. Then York to Newcastle which is either East Coast Mainline or LNER which require you to book whatever the time of day. There are only 2 bike spaces. Trainline shows whether bike spaces are available but you have to phone up to book them.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD

What area of the SE are you in ?

I’ve not taken a bike on a train for 35 years ! But if it’s straightforward here (Norwich, Lowestoft, Ipswich area….) it could really broaden the perimeter of day rides open to me….

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
That's the nice thing about folders, although probably no consolation to you on a tour. Enjoy!

I once did a ten day tour around Provence on a Brommie, and very nice it was too. I needed to get there on Eurostar and a TGV, and I also got a bus from Apt to Sault, hence using a folder.
Ventoux Brommie.jpg

Having said that, I also did the Hadrians Wall route on one. My advice would be - don't. It was a little hilly.

Top Bottom