Bikes on a train

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Our journey involves 2 trains. One is Northern Rail to York which doesn't require booking bike spaces. Then York to Newcastle which is either East Coast Mainline or LNER which require you to book whatever the time of day. There are only 2 bike spaces. Trainline shows whether bike spaces are available but you have to phone up to book them.
If you book via the LNER website, it allows you to book a bike space on their services (if it's available) and to select your seat reservation so you can be in the right part of the train (the Azuma ten coach services are two five coach units, you can't walk all the way through). Four bike spaces each in two carriages.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I just get on the train with southeastern no ticket needed.

OP
OP
Julia9054

Julia9054

Guru
If you book via the LNER website, it allows you to book a bike space on their services (if it's available) and to select your seat reservation so you can be in the right part of the train (the Azuma ten coach services are two five coach units, you can't walk all the way through). Four bike spaces each in two carriages.

Cheers. I'll remember that for next time.

Gwylan

Veteran
What area of the SE are you in ?

I’ve not taken a bike on a train for 35 years ! But if it’s straightforward here (Norwich, Lowestoft, Ipswich area….) it could really broaden the perimeter of day rides open to me….

East Kent, that's what I do. £3.20, with my old codgers pass, is a return to a wide radius. Return means I can do hospitals, clinics and so on. The return but us currently 20 pence on the single price
Jump on the train if it rains or I'm not keen on cycling. Means I can broaden my horizons and not need the car.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I’ve not taken a bike on a train for 35 years ! But if it’s straightforward here (Norwich, Lowestoft, Ipswich area….) it could really broaden the perimeter of day rides open to me….
The services requiring reservations in your area are the London-Ipswich-Diss-Norwich intercity ones and the Norwich-Ely-Peterborough-Nottingham/Liverpool East Midlands Trains. Also the Stansted-Cambridge-Ely-Peterborough-Birmingham ones encourage reservations and get very crowded. The rest, including the coast lines and the Greater Anglia services through Ely or Cambridge, are all turn-up-and-go.

Some guards do enforce the 6-bike limit, so you may have to wait for the next one, which can be annoying on the 1-train-per-2-hours Peterborough-Ely-Ipswich route and cause a diversion to Cambridge if space permits. Other guards are friendlier and allow you to load as many as fit in the space, but take padding if you're precious about the paintwork.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Sadly not.

Sallar55

Veteran
Booked us on Spanish train in Gijon, an hour before departure. No problems and the train doors are marked with an arrow to show where the bike should go. Regional train and after a certain distance its 3euro for the bike.

1000019494.jpg

1000019497.jpg

1000019497.jpg

1000019495.jpg

Top Bottom